HybridZ

200sx-t r-200 4.11 diff quest.

1 tuff z

The one I got came from a 5sp turbo 200sx. Regardless, I would definately recommend checking the ratio before you pull it or have it pulled. Jack up one wheel, mark the driveshaft (scratch it with a nail or something), then spin that raised wheel and count the revs of the driveshaft. Should come up with about 20 and a half.

Also, if you're car has a R180 now, you'll need the pinion flange from an R200 from a 280Z. The one on the 200SX unit won't work with the 280 (or 240) driveshaft. The bolts are in a square pattern, not a rectangle like the Z.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

curious, how much did you pay for your 200sxt r200? I have an 85 r200sxt 5sp with a new-ish engine, and I'm thinking of maybe parting it out if I think I can get enough $ out of it...

Probably can't tho

Ive been looking also. have factory manuals for the 200sx, as well as fiche. according to manual 1984 AT turbo had a 4.11 R200. MT had a 3.9. 1985 MT only(?) 3.9. 1986 MT only(?) 4.11. non-turbos are either live or R180. perfect for 510's. hope this helps. I have factory manuals for all Datsun/Nissan from about 1970-1992 can copy pages and fax. www.junkyarddog.com turned up two of 'em in 5min. 150$ and 175$

I was told that the unit that I have came from an 85 200SX turbo. I mean, I saw the car and it was obviously a 200sx turbo (I saw the turbo insignia on the outside and actually looked under the hood to see the turbo).

I also did the jack up one wheel, mark driveshaft, spin wheel 10 times multiply by 2 trick (well, divide by 5, whichever) to verify that it was in fact a 4.11.

I mean, the 2 ratios are really close, but I did the spin 2 times and came up with 20 and some fractional extra turn (1/2 or so) both times.

And it's clearly not a R180.

I had told Vinh that I would take a bunch of photos of my 4.11 with CVs and I never got around to it.....soon, soon

• 2 weeks later...

David,

I have a 4:11 R200 and I don't think I will find use for it. I did open the cover up and it's has a 37:9 stamped in the ring gear. This R200 fits the 280Z R200 half shafts fine but it will not fit the 280ZXT half shafts. I had a discussion with Jeromio about this awhile back. I am in Philly Pa. Let me know..

Vinh http://vvu.tripod.com

• 11 months later...
Guest Anonymous

DAW,

So if I understand you correctly, I don't need to bust my hump trying to find a 85-86 Turbo 200SX rear end only. I can get the 4:11 out of a V6 200, or the 300zx?

I stand firmly by the wheel spinning test. You can't count on a 17 yr old car having all it's original parts.

Also, I'm pretty sure that no 300ZX ever came with a 4.11 (Stock that is). I also don't think 200sx V6 or NA models had the 4.11 R200.

Guest Anonymous

I doubt that my local salvage will let me remove the cover to count teeth or see the stamping. I agree that this is the best way to verify the 4:11, or look at the engine stamping as posted earlier. Can someone clarify the wheel spin test. I assume you would turn the wheel 5 times and count the drive shafts revolutions to 20.55, or 20 1/2. Are any of the stampings on the outside of the case of any use? My R200 has several numbers stamped on the top of it.

Guest Anonymous

fastest way i have found is to pull the speedo gear i think its got 21 teeth i all so think with the stick car its pink and is the R200

i have seen some R180 4:11 with 21 teeth

also a turbo but auto

Z Sport mag has a nice wright up on that by Ken Jones

O ya i did all the work he just put it on paper