HybridZ

Miller TIG welders.

MoNkEyT88

FWIW, I recently got a deal on a nearly new Miller Econotig. $500 bux. The guy was an industrial welder and was welding on the side. The Econotig was too small for him. All the reviews I could find only fault the size, it's only 165 amps. So far, It's done what I need. I do realize that I may need to trade up if I'm doing thick aluminum, but, it welds nice! It's much better than I am!

has anyone here actually used the thumbwheel with the new diversion 165's? a couple guys in my class said they had that setup and really didn't like it.

i can't see how it would be anywhere near as good as a foot pedel... i was trained with the foot pedel however. i feel there's way more control with it. i was trained on the dynasty's, and i must say if you've got a few extra coins sitting around, they are very very worth it. the HF start, as well as awesome square wave control makes aluminum a breeze (even for a noob like me)

do the older syncrowaves have the HF start? i go thru enough tungsten as it is lol.

• 8 months later...

The Diversion is just a stripped down dynasty 250 or whatever. It has a non-adjustable HF start and square wave.

I use the pedal 99% of the time. However, I tried out the thumbwheel and button just the other day on some school project. I was in an akward position, and my usually method of pushing my knee on the pedal wasn't working well, the metals' thicknesses were too different. So, I tried out tacking what I needed using the button.

It actually works well, once I could compensate for the torch moving when I pressed the button on it. But I don't intend on using it much, I'm way to comfortable with the pedal.