HybridZ

GM Driveshaft and u joints without retaining clips.

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Help! Do I have some GM non-replaceable u joint drive shaft or what ????.I have this drive shaft and Turbo 350 yoke out of a 1973 Monte Carlo. I cannot find any retaining clips on the u joints or yoke. Also the Monte Carlo u- joint caps appear too big to fit my Neapco diff flange adapter which takes the 1310 spicer u-joint.The Neapco adapter fits my r200 diff. I have an aluminum Corvette drive shaft with the correct size u joints with retaining clips and u joint caps that fit the Neapco flange adapter. (Hey I am ready to measure the drive shaft cuz the engine and tranny is finally in place)..

If it doesn't have the internal clips (half moon on the inner side of the cap),out of the side of the driveshaft you will see some little plastic nubs. GM used theis molten plastic injection to hold the u-joint in. You need to melt the plastic out, then you can replace the u-joints with autoparts store ones and new clips. Sounds like you have the inside clip u-joints that are bigger than the outside clip u-joints. Almost all Pontiacs came with those joints and in the 70's you're never sure what GM was doing!

Guest Anonymous

Thanx Mike, Yes they have the little plastic tips coming out the side. ARGH! another expense. It appears that these u joints will not fit the neapco adapter diff flange(N2-2-899-1) and the yoke is a lost cause since it will cost more to adapt it to the outside clip u joint.Looks like the Corvette drive shaft is the remaining option but no one in the entire State of Oregon can be found to shorten aluminum except in Seattle Washington.

Guest silverbullet

Tomahawk Z, I thought I remembered you saying in an earlier post that there was a driveline shop near Eugene, are they not there anymore or do they just not work with aluminum? I was hoping to find a shop not to far away to rebuild my stock driveline, I don't want to have to buy a new unit frown.gif .Good luck on your problem smile.gif .

Guest Anonymous

There are about 4 driveline shops in Eugene but it appears no one in the entire state does aluminum and I cannot use the donar car's Pontiac style drive shaft or yoke. I got my Neapco diff flange adapters for $32.74 from a shop out on Airport Road: J Thorpe 1-541-607-3610.Nice guy with a one man shop. Myrmo's 747-4565, Drive line Service.345-3890... Six States 747-9944