HybridZ

Lost in the 21st century

I'm in need of advice. I planned on putting a 1st gen small block in and came across an LS1. I bought it without any wiring harness or computer. Not a big deal if there wasn't so much info out there. It sounds as if stand alone is the way to go if your starting from scratch? I also have a d1sc procharger that I plan to use so that makes things a little more confusing from an old hotrodders point of view. It would really be easy to carb this thing and be done with it, but I really want to conquer EFI. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

In other words, which wiring harness would you buy and from where and what computer and software and where would you go for these? I'm basically starting with the longblock. Would you use stock stuff or go with aftermarket? I do plan on the procharger, which I need new brackets for the ls1. So does this mean I should use a harness that deletes the MAF sensor. Or is that what they mean by speed densinty?

Really any help?

Hey cool beans, speartech is a good place to start for aftermarket harness. Also a google search will help you out a lot.

For my setup, I'm using MAP sensors, with my ITB's. Also for a standalone ECU I'm running HPtuners. If you're wanting the most out of that supercharger, I highly recommend a Standalone or at the very very least a ECU Flash.

Stock vs. Aftermarket depends on what HP you're looking for. 6.0 LQ9's IIRC Heads are liked because the drop the Compression Ratio which allows you to add more boost. Or you can go into patriots heads etc. etc. Intake on the cheap, find an LS6 maniforld, intake on the expensive Harrop ITB's or FAST induction systems. Again its really all of a matter of what your goals are that determine where you go aftermarket and where you stay stock.

Check out these books from amazon, or go down to your local Barnes and Noble or Borders and look at the LS1 performance rebuilding stuff. I haven't ran across a horrible book yet. Most will be able to get you started in the right direction. Also check out http://www.ls1tech.com and just read around.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_b_0_5?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=ls1+performance&x=0&y=0&sprefix=LS1+p

Hope this helps,

I agree with Tyson. Speartech wiring harness and a GM ECU. HPTuners or EFILive (I use that one) to modify the GM tune in the ECU. In my opinion since this is your first attempt at EFI would be to wire the car with a Speartech harness and grab an ECU out of a post 2002 F body. Oh scratch that last sentence since I don't know what year engine you have. In any event, get her running and then get yourself used to using the tuning software. Once you do that and you are happy with the way the car runs, then you can start with one modification at a time. Tuning as you go along. Believe me, this is the only way to go without paying someone else to do the tuning for you.

So, what year motor did you get?

Joe

The motor is a 2000 out of a Trans Am. I've thought about the LQ9 heads to help with the boost. At this point I have a typhoon intake and 85mm throttle body on the motor. I have a cam I can put in but haven't done so yet. I still need injectors and am considering the size considering boost. I'd like not to do things twice if possible, but it seems thats my norm:) If I put it all together is there anywhere to get a tune that would not scatter the engine until it could be fine tuned? Doesn't efilive have some tunes for starting ?

Thanks

The motor is a 2000 out of a Trans Am. I've thought about the LQ9 heads to help with the boost. At this point I have a typhoon intake and 85mm throttle body on the motor. I have a cam I can put in but haven't done so yet. I still need injectors and am considering the size considering boost. I'd like not to do things twice if possible, but it seems thats my norm:) If I put it all together is there anywhere to get a tune that would not scatter the engine until it could be fine tuned? Doesn't efilive have some tunes for starting ?

Thanks

There is a plethora of companies that provide stand alone engine/transmission looms. Even GM is in the game. Spearco has been around for a number of years and has a good reputation. I bought a stand alone GEN I csb TPI loom (break out box, actually) from Ron Francis Wires a few years ago. Nice. Mounted the ECU in the trunk and ran the sensor wires from the engine to it. Clean install. I believe they have a similar unit for the GEN III engines.

Street and Performance out of Mena Arkansas has much experience in GEN III and IV swaps, including looms. Take a look at their website: hotrodlane.cc

g