HybridZ

diff. already rebuilt?

spotfitz

Since I'm just now pulling the back cover off my diff. for the first time, even after picking it up from the JY and just installing it, I have a question. I know about the normal stampings for ratios, but if there is another number, which is hand written on the planetary, does this indicate a rebuild or just possibly an inspection. Writting is " 28 --> 3 " ,Without the quotes. Everything looks super clean and tight. Anyone have a clue?

According to Nissan nomenclature, the first number is called the "set number" of the ring gear and the second number is called "the variation number" of the ring gear.

These numbers are factory measurements done in a jig after the ring and pinion were lapped together. They are used (together with the diff case measurements) to determine the right and left side spacer shims which determine backlash and the pre-load of the side bearings.

Guest Anonymous

Spotfitz, the 4.11 I pulled out of the 200sx over the weekend had them too, I was wondering myself so it's not just yours by any means.

Incidentally I know it was mentioned in another thread (by DAW I think) but the axle code part on the ID plate under the hood was indeed correct for the 4.11. This was an 85 200sx Turbo Prod date of 2/86. No 12mm bolts though.