HybridZ

Stumped JTR Diff Flange

jaime240z

I need help with this. I have the JTR diff. flange adapter. Now I'm looking for a diff. that will bolt up to the adapter but I have been told that the bolt and pilot size on the adapter is very hard to come by on the diff.

Has anyone esle had this problem? Is there a different adapter out there for use w/ SBC V-8?

Thanks! -Jaime

Jaime, I have not done this, but I'm taking a stab at recalling an old thread about this very subject:

I believe the answer lay in getting the correct pinion flange (???sorry don't know the correct term, but it is the part you bolt up the adapter to) from another R200...bummer. Do a search and see what you come up with. There may well be a solution deep in the archives; I'm nearly positive.

At least this bumps the thread up, no?

Davy

Guest Anonymous

I have the(some what square) Neapco N2-2-899-1 differential flange that fits right on my 280 Z R 200.The R 200 diff pumpkin is not asymetrical with one (half shaft )side pooching out further than the other one. The pinion circle diameter on the back of my Neapco flange is 2 1/4 inches. One set of bolt holes inside diameter to inside diameter is 1 3/4 inch and other bolt set is 2 1/8 If you are looking for R200s carry your flange with you and see if it fits the perspective R 200.If ithe flange does not fit do not buy the R 200. Apparently there is another Neapco diff flange N2-899 that is different.

Thanks for replying.

I have started hunting for an R-200 with adapter in hand. And I figured that if I found a diff. with the right pinion size but wrong gearing, then I would at least grab the pinion and match it up with a desired (3.54) diff. However I haven't even been able to find the right size pinion regardless of what gear ratio...

BTW, Tomahawk, what gear ratio / condition is yours in? If I can't find one nearby I will definitely be interested in buying yours.

Thanks

Jaime

I'll go out on a limb here - the difference is not with the differential, it's the pinion flange that varies.

There are (to my knowledge at least) 2 different flanges. The one I am using with the Neapco adapter came from an 85 200SX turbo. The one from the 75 280Z does not work (I had one of these).

The flange I have is round, vs the rectangular one from the 75.

Davy is right, there is a pretty extensive thread on this - not sure if it was in here or in the Chevy forum. Try searching for pinion flange.

OK Maybe I need to ask a different question:

I have the JTR flange adapter with the 2.25" pilot and I want to run an R-200 with 3.54 gears.

What year/model diff. do I need for this?

I've heard 75-78 R-200's will bolt in to '72 Z's with the mustache bar? Are these the only years or do I have to mix and match diff. with pilot flanges?

Yeah, what I was saying is that you should be able to use any R200 you want thru 87 (except of course the VLSD). But if you get say, a 3.54 from a 75 280Z, you will have to source a pinion flange separately.

I'm guessing that if you use the 3.54 from a 81-83 280ZX Turbo, then you should be able to use the pinion flange that's already on the diff.

I know for sure that the 75 flange won't work and that the 85 will. Where the specific break is, I have no solid knowledge (79 maybe?). I suspect that knowledge lives someplace in that big ol' Pinion Flange, Neapco Adapter thread from a few months back.

Thanks, Jeronimo!

Ok just one more question. I did search under R-200 and neapco and adapter flange but I'm still a little unsure about this.

Let's say I do find an R-200 and it's a 3.54 AND whattya know the adapter does bolt on! (yeah right, my luck just doesn't work that way).

This would mean the diff. is out of an est. '79ish-'85ish Z-car?

Also, would this diff also bolt in to the '72 Z?

Thanks for all the help!

Guest Anonymous

An R 200 with half shafts should bolt in to the 240 Z with an appropriate moustache' bar. A later R200 with CV joints should also bolt in since your 240 stub axles should have the same splines as the as the later CV axles

Guest Anonymous

Jamie I have the same rectangular Neapco flange adapter (N2-2-899-1)for a 2.25 pilot diff pinion that JTR sells and it fits my 1977 280 Z R 200 differential.Do not leave home without it (flange adapter) and accept no substitutes. Find you a R 200 that fits your flange adapter.And if you cannot find a R 200 with the square/retangular flange with the 2.25 pilot get another pinion flange that fits your flange adapter and R200.

• 2 weeks later...

AAHHH....

Found a diff. with very little trouble. Thanks to Eric at ZParts I've got a solid R-200 with 3:54's

I got the diff., the mustache bar, and the correct flanges and for Datsun and SBC applications.

Do I need any other parts before I start the swap. My goal is to have the least amount of "down time" on the Z.

I think I can re-use the front diff. support and rear crossmember. (ties the two control arms together in the rear), but I'm not sure.

BTW: My car is a '72 and the donor was a'76.

Thanks

All I swapped on my 72 was the mustache bar and the diff itself. Everything else was 72. Is your car early or late? My November 72 had some 71 type parts. 71 carbs, non-retractable seat belts for example. My current January car has 72 carbs and retractable belts. My r200 donor was a 78.

Thanks Mike. My car is a 5/72. It already had the diff in the set back position so I guess that might make it the "later" type.

I've got the diff. and the mustache bar and luckily the poly bushings I bought for the R-180 look like they're going to work with the R-200. Sweet!

I'm going to try to do the swap this weekend!