HybridZ

Sectioned Struts - Weld Placement

Another question before I push the "cut the strut housing" button.

When sectioning the appropriate length (~1.5"-2") from the strut housing, it seems that you can choose to place the new welded seam at one of two locations:

1. Cutting just below the original spring perch weld and the needed amount above (places the new weld about 1" above the bottom of the threaded sleeve)

....or....

2. Cutting just above the original spring perch weld and the needed amount below (places the new weld close to where the threaded sleeve stop would be welded)

Here's a sketch that should help make more question more understandable. This shows using the more common ~5" long threaded sleeve.

StrutSectioned-1.jpg

Which one is better/stronger? Thoughts and/or comments please.

Guest 280ZForce

realistically you can really section any part along the length of the strut that you wanted. As long as the weld gets good penetration and is prepped right before hand, it'll be just fine. I recommend you file them after sectioning not just to debur them, but also provide a slight angle gap for the weld to fill in.

Only thing is if you have the section where the sleeve will slide over, just make sure penetration is good enough where you can grind down the welds to allow the sleeve and the new perch to slide over that area. It's usually done right below the threaded area on top for safe measure.

Thanks for the input.

I didn't even think about that as an alternative. My thought process was focused on sectioning out the area that would include the old spring perch weld. I didn’t even think about just grinding that weld down flush and sectioning higher. It is definitely the way to go!

I'm so glad HybridZ is around. It helps people like me "see the forest even with the trees"