HybridZ

whats the going price in your area for a ...

grumpyvette

whats the going price in your area for a (NEW or TOTALLY REBUILT)4L80E chevy Transmission WITH TORQUE CONVERTER do you have the option of upgradeing the stall speed and how much money for what stall speeds(do they require a CORE transmission, in exchange and if so whats the core charge if you don,t have a rebuildable core)

what are your good and bad expeariences with the 4L80E chevy Transmission,the reason Im asking is, as most of you know the later model vettes come with a 700/4L60 style transmissions and while theres lots of shops that SAY they can rebuild one to handle 600hp theres not one that Ive talked too that will put that in writeing and not add exclusions for racing use or limit your coverage time to something like 90 days, now since my long term goals for my 1985 vette include a bbc swap and 600hp plus the 4L80E chevy Transmission looks like the reasonable choice to me, and even my modded sbc is fast approcheing the point where the 700 style trans can,t handle the power it makes on a long term basis.any trans guys with good info please respond as my engine building knowledge far exceeds my trans knowledge.

(and yeah Im well aware that trans needs a seperate electronic controller or mods to run with out the electronic controller )

heres what Im seeing as the type prices, which I think are a little high,

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/4L80E.htm

Guest greimann

I'm not a trans expert, but I do have a 4L80E in my big block, 8600# GVW, '91 Chevy truck with 156k trouble free miles. For it's life, this truck has been an RV and boat tow vehicle. I also understand that they put the same transmission in the 25,000# GVW GM chassis. So if that trans can't handle what you want to dish out in a passenger vehicle, man, I don't know what will! burnout.gif

The 4L80E is a completely bulletproof tranny as long as the fluid stays cool and full. BowtieOverdives.com has a very nice stand alone module for them that uses a TV cable setup, so you can set your shift points and feel very easily. Their prices, as far as I can remember were VERY reasonable, but I can't remember the exact number. Shipping may put it out of reach though since they are in CA, and you are in FL.

Tim

mMy understanding is thet the 700 R4(4L60E) is a Trubo 350 w/overdrive and the 4L80E is a Turbo 400 w/overdrive.

Separate 1st gear clutches are one big advantage I believe....

You're right - they're expensive, but for what I want do thisis what I want also (as stated in the past).

Will keep this thread in mind and keep watching it for info....

smile.gif

Brad

The transmissioncenter dont need a controller its fully manual.

#1. Quadzilla Shift Kit - Full manual shifts - the transmission will be in the gear you select and changes to any gear you choose when you move the selector. No computer or wiring needed, rated at 900 + horse power and has full throttle 3-4 up-shifts. This is the Street Rod transmission of the future, as more and more people install motors with over 500 horse power. Cost $275.00

The transmission is expensive but it has it all and you dont need to buy a 1000$ controller

Experts says a unmodded trans can handle 600 hp = buy the quadzilla shiftkit + convertor and a good used trans would be good enough for a smallblock

well guys I bought a 4l80e trans plus torque converter new in the crate from a chevy truck dealer for $1700,(it pays to know people sometimes)(no core charge either) so the bbc/c-4 vette swap is slowly moving ahead. thanks for the info but after talking with several guys that are already running them it convinced me that its not a bad choice as its programable and can handle the 600-700 plus ft lbs of torque I plan to run through it with ease (something no 700r4 can do for long)

the thing you need to keep in mind here for your own builds is that the formula for hp is (tq x rpm /5252=hp) so rateing a trans bye horsepower is very decieving,

example

torque is the twisting power that breaks parts, hp is the rate the available torque is available to be applied at now why does that matter? well look here

620ft lbs at 4500rpm/5252=531hp

350ft lbs at 7968rpm/5252=531hp

both equal 531 hp but the first engine (a mild bbc of 572 displacement) puts far more strain on the parts than the second engine (a turbocharged V-6 ) 3.0 liter (destroked turbo buick)

You guys have me thinking that I need to replace my 700R4 with one of these now.

How different is the mounting between the 4L80E and the 700R4? Will the bellhousing mount to a 70's model block? Tailshaft lengths? Would I need to build another driveshaft?

Regards,

the 4l80e trans is slightly longer and uses a larger yoke size but it will bolt to the standard chevy bell houseing patteren on the chevy V-8 blocks and bolt to the flexplates on the cranks but the 4l80e torque converter uses 6 not 3 bolts so youll likely need to drill 3 new ones on some flexplates

http://www.tciauto.com/tech_info/trans_dims.htm

yeah Ill need another driveshaft but Im going to install a custom dana 60 rear anyway so I would need one anyway