HybridZ

rb20dett

scottyMIz

hey guys i have two sets of rb26 turbos and manifolds i got them from a buddy that had a gtr. I was talking with jitter and it looks like the manifolds will fit right on. I searched and searched this and multiple other sites and coulndt find anyone with one or one that has used the stock rb26 turbos. What do you guys think? the response shouldnt be too bad and as jitter stated the turbos should be more than enough for the rb20.

I noticed that he used aftermarket manifolds in that link. From what I've heard the stock GTR manifolds won't fit on an RB20 head. This is only hearsay, and I can't remember the reasoning behind it. I have a set of GTR manifolds and an RB20 longblock in the garage so I'll go and check it out tomorrow afternoon if you'd like. Keep in mind though, this will be just the manifolds on a longblock that's sitting on an engine stand, so chassis specific fitment will be nill. So I guess I can really only determine if the manifolds bolt to the head, but if you'd like I'll check it out.

The exhaust stud pattern on the 26 head is different to all other RBs so you can't just bolt 26 manifolds onto a 20 or 25 head I'm afraid.

We do an adapter kit which allows you to put the twin turbo manifolds onto a 20 or 25, around usd250 for the whole kit, e-mail me if your interested.

Rob

The exhaust stud pattern on the 26 head is different to all other RBs so you can't just bolt 26 manifolds onto a 20 or 25 head I'm afraid.

We do an adapter kit which allows you to put the twin turbo manifolds onto a 20 or 25, around usd250 for the whole kit, e-mail me if your interested.

Rob

I guess for once the random info that I picked up was correct! :-D

hmmmm what about just drilling and tapping the head on the cyls that don't line up? It would still have enough surface to seal just have to use a thread sealer just incase you drill into the water jacket? I just looked at mine and ur right one side is different than the other , when i was mocking them up i didn't see that one side was different than the other. I noticed it with the rb25 head i had but for some crazy reason thought the rb20 is different.... my bad but i still wanna do it :D

hey ripsnz have you ever got to see how the rb20 handles the rb26 twins? Figured i would just use them since i have them but if they wont do what i want i'll prolly sell em.

• 2 weeks later...

Have a look at the manifolds pics you can find, some slant left -> right, others slant right -> left with the bolts on top and bottom being on differing sides of the pipe. By spun, I'm guessing he turned them about 90* or thereabouts so instead of going left -> right they now go right -> left instead.

lol all i did was basicaly what kiwi said i cut the two flanges and spun them 90 degrees so they mate up with the rb20/25 head. I will keep an eye out for some smaller ones if they dont spool good but i think they will be fine. if you want i can get some close up pics

Gotcha!!

FYI...just stumbled upon this....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350169601755&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&viewitem=

A lot of $$ but interesting.

lol all i did was basicaly what kiwi said i cut the two flanges and spun them 90 degrees so they mate up with the rb20/25 head. I will keep an eye out for some smaller ones if they dont spool good but i think they will be fine. if you want i can get some close up pics

looks like all they did was take an rb26dett manifold and drill new holes. I was gonna do the same thing with my t4 manifold for the rb30 im buiding since i am using an rb25 head modded. I found a sweet kit for the ic piping and the inlet piping but it's too dang expensive(250 us) so i'll just make my own piping it's faster and cheaper :D But i have a better idea now how i need to make it ;)

• 3 weeks later...

hey man, was at work looking at rb20dett on google and thought i could give you some help.

some things to know,

don't know what frame your putting it in but putting it into a s13 the stearing column is in the way (left side drive) you need a custom downpipe or mckinney's. with mckinneys rb26 pipe they shave the pipe so it will fit but with the rb20 it sits farther back so you will need to shave the pipe about a inch and a half more towards the turbo. also where the downpipe and muffler connect the downpipe pushes against the bottom of the car would suggest some sort of spacers.

you got the manifolds down all i did was chopped and rewelded the flanges in the proper place you only have to change two flanges

the intake:

relocate the bov.

Take a fmic w/pipe for a rb20det(r32) and some universal pipe and custom fit it, would be so much easyer with a aftermarket intake mani(had to cut my hood to make it fit with a stock mani...)

I suggest blow thru maf if you can remap or tune with a piggy or standalone (which you need to tune if its blow thru i wouldn't risk running stock mapping as you can lean out the engine) then just put a air filter on each turbo and your done. If you want a draw thru you will need to make a pipe to go from each turbo to the maf obviouslly....not fun

next thing is the turbo oil/water lines, get stainless steel lines custom made, also for the turbo oil return you will need a brass T fitting i believe mine was 7/8" (way hard to find) connect with some heat/oil freindly hose.

unfortunatlly i started it up and found out that i got taken on the motor and had blown rings so i don't have any idea how the set up runs....haha lame i know but it should pull, the rb26dett stock boost is at 14 psi. im concerned about leaning so i would suggest a aftermarket fuel pump and nismo FPR. i would deff make sure its not running lean before you get on it.

totally hope this helps, ask any Q's if you got any. also every swap is different so you might run into these thing or you might not... haha my bad if there is any grammer issuse its like 3:53am workin that graveyard

• 2 weeks later...

thanks legit, the rb20 is in my 99 sonoma. I dont mind the fabbing and i plan to run a ms2 on it, just gonna mod the cas to work with the rb's direct coils. I plan to make my own intake manifold as well as the ic piping off of the turbos. The dp's should be just fine and the exhaust should be pretty straight forward. I was just worried about lag on the twins, would you or anyone know what the max boost is on the stock rb26 turbos?