HybridZ

Wolf V500 Distributorless ignition L series

zedman240

Just curious if anyone here has setup a distributorless ignition setup on a L series engine with crank angle sensor etc. About to remove the RB25DE and install a fresh L24 with cam etc and thought I'd keep my wasted spark coil pack and 3 chanel module for use with the L series. Still keeping the Wolf V500 ECU though...;)

• Administrators
Just curious if anyone here has setup a distributorless ignition setup on a L series engine with crank angle sensor etc.

I've done it a couple times. So has Hughdogz & KTM. Easiest way is to use the '83-'84 280zxt CAS sensor.

search for EDIS

EDIS isn't directly compatible with Wolf.

I'm using LS1 coils with my old Wolf 3D v3.0 ECU. The LS1 coils have a hot spark and have the coil drivers built in. They are operating in a wasted spark configuration. There are three 5V ignition outputs used from the Wolf, each one drives two LS1 coils.

Kind of looks like a science project, but I like it. :mrgreen:

P2160004.jpg

P2160009.jpg

Pete

• Administrators
Looks awesome possum! Can Wolf do non-wasted spark? Seems like a "waste" to have six fancy coils and go wasted spark. Though, z-ya's setup looks dynamite!

V4 will go sequential ignition up to 4 cylinders, V4+ 6 cylinders, and V500 is capable of 8 cylinder sequential.

Thanks Guys,

My old Wolf 3D V3 only does wasted spark, and alternating injection. Using the LS1 coils is actually a bit better than wasted spark where a single coil is shared to fire two plugs. In that configuration, one plug has slightly less spark energy than the other. With a separate coil on each plug you get equal spark energy to each plug.

I started just experimenting with mounting them on an old valve cover, but it came out nice, so I decided to paint it up. This is how I mounted them.

- Coils are centered on the plug holes in the head.

- Holes are 2.25" from the valve cover gasket surface

- Spacers are 3/8 aluminum tubing cut to 1" lengths

- Bolts are 1/4-20 stainless binder head

- A small amount of silicone one each bolt

- Loctite

I used an 8 pin sealed connector (left over from an RB harness), so all you need to do is unbolt the cover, disconnect the 8 pin plug and plug wires and you can lift the valve cover off.

Pete