HybridZ

Do I really need the heat shield?

dhp123166

For an N/A car, unless the battery literally rubs on the headers really don't think you need a heat sheild,

With a turbo and a battery in close proximity, you really should get one, don't want that battery exploding on you :-)!

However..................when my car was N/A and I didn't bother with a heat shield and I didn't quite secure the battery properly, then went round a sharpish corner :-),

Battery fell onto the exhaust, that sucked!!!

Heat sheild would have kept it directly of the exhaust, which would have stopped it melting everywhere so quickly.................

USDM has battery on the other side Tony. No exhaust near it. Pretty sure he was referring to the heat shield between the intake and exhaust manifolds and the smaller one near the brake booster, which is also on the other side over here.

Had to suck having a battery melt in the engine compartment though. I'd HATE to have to clean up that mess.

When your motor is non-crossflow you need every bit you can get. Mine is, and I still run one.

I'm with Evan. Yes, a coated header will run a bit cooler, but not so much that the heat shield won't help more. Keeping heat away from the intake is key to hot weather drivability, to detonation resistance and to performance in general. Giving up any margin on this just because you think it looks better is just silly in my book. FWIW, when I look at someone's engine bay, I'm much more impressed by good engineering practices than I am by things like compromised heat management for looks.

I've said it a few times, but IMHO if you are worried about looks, the heat shield looks pretty darned good if you JetHot coat it, too. Plus it will work even better this way.