HybridZ

rumble/vibration????

logr

Just installed SR20. Have bad vibration on decel, even just barely off throttle, in any gear. I have raised and lowered the front and rear of the diff, raised and lowered the rear of the trans. Changed diffs, checked mounts and everything 44 times for touching. Changed out the turbo due to vibration at certain rpm's. Checked fluid in trans, balanced driveshaft, disconnected half shafts and felt everything I can, all to no avail. There is almost no angle to the driveline but I changed the angles while the car was on stands in the car and nothing changed. Any ideas?????

Do other people use the L28 motor mounts? I am wondering if the mounts are too stiff for the engine. The vibration is BAD and really seems to be in the rear. I also isolated the exhaust and ran it that way, no change.

HELP PLEASE, logr

http://www.ringpinion.com/FAQ.aspx#14

What is this whirring noise?

Whirring noise only while decelerating at any or all speeds is most likely caused by bad pinion bearings or loose pinion bearing preload, and almost never by bad ring and pinion gears.

A howl or whine during acceleration over a small or large speed range is usually caused by worn ring and pinion gears or improper gear set up.

Rumbling or whirring at speeds over about 20 mph can be caused by worn carrier bearings. The noise may change while turning.

Regular clunking every few feet may indicate broken ring or pinion gears.

Banging or clunking only on corners can be caused by broken spider gears, lack of sufficient positraction lubrication, or worn positraction clutches.

Rumble while turning may indicate bad wheel bearings.

A steady vibration that increases with the vehicle’s speed can be caused by worn u-joints or an out of balance driveshaft.

Clunking only when starting to move or getting on and off the gas might be loose yokes, bad u-joints or worn transfer case or transmission parts.

Thanks but none of those fit. The rumble is on deceleration, even just a little bit of deceleration. You can feel it through the seat and it seems to be from the back. There is no noise with the driveshaft out and the trans in gear and the shifter always seems smooth. The noise goes away if you step on the clutch.

• 2 weeks later...