HybridZ

FS5W71B with damaged main drive gear

darom

Guys, I need your expertise on whether or not I need to replace this part.

My friend and I took apart a junker's 5-speed (1979 280xz with 310k miles) to find that overall it looked very clean inside, all bearings and synchros looked good for its age. The only problem is the main drive gear with its pitted teeth. I was ready to order the bearings/synchros rebuilt kit, but if there is way to save money, I am all for it :-)

Can my current 4-speed 1976 tranny's main drive gear be interchanged with the 5-speed one? This 4-speed has 2nd and 3rd popping out gear problems (while driving the 2nd and 3rd pop back into neutral). I can't find anybody online who sells _just_ the main drive gear. Maybe someone has a used one he/she can sell me? Before I take the tranny to the shop locally, can someone have a look at a few pictures and give me their professional/hobbyist advice?

Here is the link to the album: http://s24.photobucket.com/albums/c1/darom/

The areas of concern are here: http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c1/darom/IMGP0522.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c1/darom/IMGP0521.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c1/darom/IMGP0512.jpg

I appreciate your help. Thanks.

Den '76 280z - work in progress

Honestly, just look for another trans. They can be had for MUCH cheaper than the labor and parts cost of repairing one.

As long as the ratios are the same, the four and five speed gears should be the same...asides from the 5th gear parts. However, if chunks floated around the trans, you don't really know which bearings may also be bad, and what other parts might be worn.

I've a FS5W71B that has had the starter bulge cut and re-welded around the bell further for a Previous owners unfinished project. No use to me but the gears seem to change fine and the shaft turns easily by hand, I think postage from NZ to CA for the whole gearbox would be pretty prohibitive tho. Posting a 200x200x150 mm parcel weighing 3.5 Kg came to 32 USD approx when I was pricing postage for a Carbie I had listed on ebay. Thats surface mail 10 day transit.

Since it's bellhousing has been altered and I've no need for the Gbox since I'm not going L series again and already have a M76 falcon box for the swap, I'm willing to pull it apart and junk the housing for the aluminium value, and sell the innards.

$20 USD plus whatever postage comes if not to extorbinate to sound alright? If you weigh up the 5sp internal bits you want from yours and measure the length I can plug the size and weights into the post shops online calculator for a postage quote if you like.

kiwi, thanks for the offer. I might consider it - I am taking the tranny to a mechanic this week who might have a few used input shaft gear assemblies laying around. If he doesn't have it, I will be contacting you.

I am attaching the picture of it.

Thanks!

Den

gear_thumb.jpg

Countershaft gear appeared to be badly pitted as well. Upon removal of the gear we saw more damage then from the previous overall quick inspection the day before. The mechanic who helped me said that if left alone the tranny would have made loud 'supercharged' noises :-)

I decided to have it rebuilt with new bearings/synchros parts. I am keeping the car (so much $$ invested into it that it is beyond the point of no-return) and would like to have it done right the first time. The two gear assemblies will be replaced with good used parts from a different tranny.

Thank you guys for your help.