HybridZ

Help! just replaced blowen head gasket - running bad

Hi Guys,

I just replaced the head gasket on my 1978 280Z. I started the engine and it's running very rough and it's smoking like crazy. I tried adjusting the timing and it helps a little but not enough. I was very careful with the timing chain and hope that's not the issues. Does anyone have any thoughts?

If the concensus is the timing chain, what's the best way to adjust it?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Rick

I just took it apart and checked the timing chain. The piston at TDC, distributor pointing at #1 wire and the notch on the sprocket aligns with the one on the cam plate, the valves also seem to be closed. The only strange thing is that the bright link on the chain is lined up with the #2 mark on the sprocket (that's the way it was before disassembly). Anyway, I'll crank it over in a little wile and see what happens. Btw, I did go over all the vacuum lines, wires, etc. )I had labeled everything)

Thanks,

Hi Mayolives,

Thanks a million for the picture that was the last thigh I needed to confirm. I just put it back together and started the engine. It ran very rough but after 10min it smooth out and she now idles on her own. She’s still smoking allot but it's getting better. I'm going to let it run for a while and hopefully it will continue to improve. I’ll let you guys know how it goes.

Thank you all,

Rick

To continue this thread......(let me know if I'm stepping on anyone here)

What is ya'll's thought on having the head rebuilt while it's off? The car was running fine, just a small head gasket leak(77' 280z). I don't have the tools to do it myself, so is it really worth it, or should I just replace the gaskets and keep on cruising?

To continue this thread......(let me know if I'm stepping on anyone here)

What is ya'll's thought on having the head rebuilt while it's off? The car was running fine, just a small head gasket leak(77' 280z). I don't have the tools to do it myself, so is it really worth it, or should I just replace the gaskets and keep on cruising?

If you want to drive your car for awhile I would suggest rebuilding the head before install. Shouldn't be too expensive. $200 max. A good investment and will restore horsepower you were probably missing.

Roody3,

Check your head with a straight edge and once you disassemble take a close look at where the damage on the gasket is. In my case the head was fine the issue was the gasket. I clean both surfaces very well and put it back together. I'll be doing a complete rebuild sometime this year that's why I didn’t do a head rebuilt. Think about you situation and go from there.

Hope this helps.

Rick