HybridZ

OT: In-Home Internet Video Surveillance Equipment & Services

ZZZeee

Mods/Admins... I hope it's okay to post this in the Non-Tech Board?? If not, please delete.

I'm in need of a good but cheap in-home internet video/audio surveillance system and service. I care for an elderly parent who now needs in-home adult daycare while I'm at work. But I'm not about to leave her safety to chance. I've seen too many abuse cases and I know many more go unnoticed and/or unreported.

Any experience here??

I say, build you own CCTV setup. All you need are some cameras, a CCTV card, a cheap PC and some HDD.

A 16 channel card is like $120. To monitor remotely, you can setup Terminal services (Remote desktop connection server services), but you need XP pro. IF you're going to use RDC to monitor, I suggest setting the recording at 10~20 FPS, because the RDC doesn't work well with video playback by itself, you need to setup VLC with remote video playback.

^^^ Agreed. If they know they're being watched/recorded and they don't know where all the cameras are they'll be very nice indeed. My goal is to "prevent" the abuse... not to sue for it after the she's already been hurt.

With that stated: Some will say just put up fake cameras. It's cheap and probably just as effective. I'm not going to do that because I want the ability to have someone forever removed from these services should they momentarily forget about the cameras, lose control, or discover the truth and abuse at their whim. But more importantly... to really know if a problem exists.