HybridZ

My S30, photos inside, need advice

Hey, I am new to this site. After toying with hondas for 5 years Ive decided its time for a change and picked up a 240z. The car has had a lot of work done to it, the floorboards and rearquarters were replaced and a few NOS parts here and there. Whoever owned it took great care of it until it was left for 10 years.

Plans for this car are a rb25 swap.

I need some advice on the rad support. This is the only part of the car needing repair. I was thinking of cutting out the front lower support and replacing it with new square tubing with gussets to reinforce. The rusted area of the rad support I was going to cut out to make room for intercooler piping.

Any advice?

Can you buy replacment front rad supports?

n505444825_1271965_7629.jpg

n505444825_1269796_1921.jpg

after welding spoiler holes shut

n505444825_1271966_8169.jpg

arears needing repair

IMG_0595.jpg

IMG_0596.jpg

I've seen people start with a hell of lot more rust. That car looks like a strong platform to begin from. What VIN is it? Not that it really matters but everyone always ask. It appears to be a 72 or 73 to me. If you pull the headlight buckets I think you'll find more rot in that front support. You could attempt to repair it, build a custom clip as you suggested or find a good donor car for the front end. Where are you located?

Did some poking around. Here is the worst of it.

Since this will be a modified car, I may just end up fixing it. No point hacking up a clean car just yet.

What you guys think?

By the way, I do ALOT of rust repair all of this will be done myself, and I paid 750 for the vehicle.

the frame rails are solid. just innder fenderwells need patching.

IMG_0600.jpg

If you are going to modify the car and have turbocharging in mind, a custom front clip will allow you to build with lots of big air pipes in mind. The stock front wall is not incredibly easy to negotiate. If you have a good reason to rip it out and build fresh, then you can set up mounting points for say, a radiator from a Fox body (read: super common cheap performance radiator) and make it easier to duct in all airflow entering the front mouth opening of the car to the radiator so none leaks past (this is a common cause of over-temp situations in S30 Zs; the big grille lets in so much air that the rad can't let it flow through very easily, and the air finds other pathways so the air pressure BEHIND the radiator is not that much lower than the air pressure in front; therefore, very little flow through the radiator)

This car is your car; fix it however you want. If you have the tools, supplies, and ingenuity to rip it out and do it better, then do so.

If you are planing to do a swap that involves lots of stuff up front like an intercooler, oil cooler, intake plumbing and the like, don't be afraid to cut out the old and bring in the new. After which, follow the suggestions above and provide proper ducting to direct incoming air to where it's needed most.

Engineareabraces.jpg