HybridZ

Oil temp sensor plumbing options on a L28?

zclubhouse

Ive looked around for some options but so far all I have found is 2savage's thread where he buys adaptor #22-565 from Canton and installs the sensor right in the side. That looks like a great idea, however, I am not too excited about spending another $80 to plumb a $50 gauge. I certainly want to have access to my oil temp reading, so is there another way to go? I can't look at my car until spring break (2 weeks) but I wanted to plan ahead so I could get this gauge installed. I'm assuming that the oil system runs BSP threads? Any info/advice on the oiling system would be great (my car has stock oiling, not dry sump.) Thanks.

Andrew

Since you didn't post a link to 2savage's thread, and I don't really want to search for you, I'm not sure how his setup worked. But I would just drill a hole in the oil pan, weld in a bung (or nut), and screw in the sensor.

Sorry I forgot

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=124065&highlight=oil+temp+sensor

I didn't think about putting the sensor right into the pan, that might be the best. Thanks for the input

You know you don't have to go his route... Just get a Tee fitting from the hardware store and screw it into the oil pressure hole, this way you have pressure and oil in the same spot. I have a Tee that came with mine however I'm using it for a low pressure light, but they should come with any l28et I THINK since the oil to the turbo comes from there.

Atleast mine did.

If you have a L28ET, there is already a bung in the pan. You just need to make a metric to NPT adapter. I took the stock L28ET oil temp sensor and drilled it out. I then tapped it to 1/4" NPT so that I could screw my Autometer sender right into it. I have the oil temp gauge mounted where the clock used to be.

Pete

You know you don't have to go his route... Just get a Tee fitting from the hardware store and screw it into the oil pressure hole, this way you have pressure and oil in the same spot. I have a Tee that came with mine however I'm using it for a low pressure light, but they should come with any l28et I THINK since the oil to the turbo comes from there.

Atleast mine did.

My oil pressure hole is BSP, and I am running an mechanical temp gauge so it might be more trouble than its worth to get that inside a piece connnected to the tee. I'll take a look at it again when I get back to my car. Thanks

If you have a L28ET, there is already a bung in the pan. You just need to make a metric to NPT adapter. I took the stock L28ET oil temp sensor and drilled it out. I then tapped it to 1/4" NPT so that I could screw my Autometer sender right into it. I have the oil temp gauge mounted where the clock used to be.

Pete

Sorry I did not specify that I have a N/A L28. I dont think there is a bung in my pan but in a week when I get back home there probably will be! I put all the 2 5/8" gauges in where the original gauges were too. I made a little aluminum adapter so that I use the autometer mounting bracket but it connects to the orginal support hardare for the oem gauges. Then a little piece of weather stripping behind the gauge bezel trim inside the dash keeps it from vibrating at all. Thanks for the advice anyways. I wish I had a L28et!