HybridZ

WTB - 280ZX Passenger side tension rod

Ineptitude01

Corey - looks like you installed the complete polyurethane bushing kit on your ZX....I just got one from Prothane and am going to install it soon.

Anything to look out for? For the Control Arm Bushings, do you keep the OEM metal sleeve, or trash it when replacing the bushing?

Do you think I need a puller tool or will I be able to get these out pretty easy?

Also, I noticed that I have in the kit some "bump stops"....do these go with the struts (meaning I need to compress and remove springs to replace)?

Thanks for any advice you can give - and I hope you get your tension rod OK - did it just snap??

Phil - These things are magical, no doubt about it. The stock bushings were, by this time, cracking and pretty worthless. The ride quality changed drastically, mostly (I suspect) because of the sway bar bushings. There are some nice guides you can google for that talk about the control arm bushings.

To be honest, I looked at those, looked at what I'd have to go through, and decided that it could wait until I really tear down the car for its engine swap.

Also, I never figured out what to do with the bump stops. Those are the other thing still left in the package.

The tension rod did just snap out of the blue, though. I was driving along, minding my own business, when something under the car went 'thunk!'. I was pretty mad, because I thought I must have run over a big rock or something, but I realized something was wrong when the car started pulling hard right during braking. I think it may have had something to do with the fact that it's 27 year old metal and the bushings are really stiff. I also might not have torqued them exactly to spec, but I don't see how that could have made much of a difference.

Thanks for the feedback on the bushings - really looking forward to the install and the ride afterward. I've read that too - that Poly bushings put more stress on the stock metal components and things like your TR snapping do occur. I guess it makes a good case to upgrade to stronger sway bars, etc over time, after the bushing install :)

I've been doing my fair share of internet research on the install, the tools to have, torque specs (torquing while weight is on suspension, versus while free and on stands...). I also did a trailing arm bushing install on my BMW a couple months ago - that needed a tool and was a PITA!

I'll be sure to take my install slow and read, and re read the FSM over and over while going through it. WIll try to take some pics of before and after.

Good luck - are there Aftermarket tension rods you can get that are stronger?

Pretty sure the metal sleeves go, and they just slide in.

I have to get a used tension rod, though. There's no way I'm buying from the dealership. They sell them, but they're $260. The guy took pity on me and offered me employee discount. So then it was only $150! Unbelievable. This is the kind of thing a junkyard would value at $5. If anyone knows of aftermarket ones, though, let me know.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...