HybridZ

How many of you have used MSA V-8 motor mounts?

• 6 months later...

I just bought the msa motor and trany mounts. Everyone her says that jtr is better but the mounts look good to me, and are set back. The catalog says the engine is the closest to the firewall with msa. I'm using the t350 auto and a 350 with msa block hugger headers aluminum intake. just got started yesterday and so far just re-routed that one brake line and cut of the trany mounts on the z in the tunnel, removed a few other things that is not needed. The trans mount looks like its going to be a neat trick to install. I also bought the throttle linkage, the speedo cable and the hood latch thing from msa man... i like msa. When i called the other day they had a 280 in back getting a small block so maybe they know what they are doing, ha ha

Why don't you use the search function in the forum and see what comes up. Over 90% will say go JTR. At the very least get the JTR manual and read it first--it'll help you with either swap. The MSA mounts say they put it back "closest to the firewall for optimum weight distribution." Ummm, closest relative to what? This is good salesmanship! I can't fault them for it either! Shoot, I sold cars!

Plain and simple--90% or more of the swaps on this forum are JTR because it not only puts the engine as close to the firewall as physically possible, it also puts it down low as well--lower=better handling.

Carefully at the MSA ad--it shows the Edelbrock airfilter--the lowest profile airfilter on the market. That's because there's probably little to no room for an adequately sized airfilter! I'm not faulting them for their product--shoot, if you like it, go buy it! Using their conversion, you'll have put out just a FEW more $$$ then you should have; but hey, it's a free country...

David

Sorry if I sounded pissy when I posted: I'm still suffering from some kind of flu and I spent the day sweating under a closed rear hatch of a Z car in the hot sun.

I'm sure there are more than a few guys here in the forum that have the MSA setup. MSA is a great company and stands by the products they sell. Plus, they do sell you everything you need, so the convenience is definitely nice.

The JTR setup requires more work, but it also can save you money. Most guys in this forum work with some kind of a budget, as I do, and would rather put more money into the engine or suspension or brakes (all things being equal). I'm sure the MSA kit is better than John's Cars kit or some of the other ones out there, so I'm not disputing that.

Just be aware that the JTR book can save you some cash. For example, the radiator MSA sells retails for $395; then add in the filler unit $85; then add in the fan shroud $85, etc. With shipping, you're already looking at almost $600 and you have not touched the mounts or headers yet!! My JTR mounts I can make myself for under $100. MSA sells theirs for $197. Even if you get the MSA mounts, check out or borrow a JTR book to save you cash in other areas.

Again, I'm sorry if I spouted off and gotcha riled up. My apologies. icon_smile.gif

David

[ June 19, 2001: Message edited by: DavyZ ]

Your right the radiator is a rip and that hose thing for 85 is crazy. But I did buy the mounts, throttle cable and the speedo cable, the huggers and the hood thing. Need to know how fast when the cops are on my butt maybe...haha. The mounts really look strong and came with the GM mounts and the trans rubber mount. I hope i did not make a mistake with msa man. aaahhh

[ June 19, 2001: Message edited by: 72zcar ]

Actually, if they included GM motor mounts, the deal is not so bad. Here is the question I have: how do they get the hood release mechanism to work if the engine is truly set back? It's hard to tell from the pics in the MSA catalog. If they have to modify the latch mechanism, then the engine is about as far back as it needs to be and you're fine. Just use the MSA ones; sounds like they'll NEVER break!

Good thing you are looking at options for the radiator and other things because you are sure to save money icon_smile.gif

Let us know how it goes! Again, look into the hood release/latch mechanism--if it has to be modified, you are ok when it comes to engine setback.

David

[ June 19, 2001: Message edited by: DavyZ ]

I already received the motor and trans mounts but the hood latch should be here tomorrow. Let you know more then. T-jay over at msa said the old hood latch thing will have to be removed from the firewall and the msa one attached 6 inches to the side to allow the dist. to fit close against the firewall. Yeah, the gm motor and trans mounts coming with is a plus.

Sounds like they (MSA) put the distributor right against the firewall, like JTR. I am really intrigued about them putting the latch over to the side 6 inches. I did that on my own, but the fun part is modding the hood to go with it. I'd love to hear about how they have you mod the hood.

yep, thats going to be the tricky part... moving the male part on the hood and having it match up will be a neat trick.

So your z is on the road? I'm am very interested in the way the jtr m-mounts look. Mine are made of 1 inch tube and 1/4 inch plate. And the tranny mount goes up in the tunnel on both sides and down. you would have to see it, its hard to explain. The tranny mopunt looks like its going to be fun. Anyone ever done the msa mounts?

Excellent! Sounds like MSA has changed their kit from the "Scarab" type to a better JTR type design. Kudos to them!

Pete: We are looking forward to an mpeg video of the "fireworks" on the 4th!!! icon_biggrin.gif

David

Well guys I know for sure that the MSA people read in here. You don't think they benefit from our work at all do ya'? icon_smile.gif

Ho much was their throttle linkage? Mine is a Lokar unit and very nice braided, less than $50 if memory serves. Mounts were mostly just steel plate, dirt simple and not much to them except I had them powdercoated. I dumped the latch altogether and sent the mount to someone else that needed it. JTR trans mount is overkill, you could support bridges with that thing! I had it modified for the T56 and it slipped in with little banging. My motor sits WAY back to the point where I had to remove a little brake line holder to allow the tranny to sit there icon_smile.gif If someone can get it further back my hat's off to them cause I sure couldn't. I didn't even use the entire slot I made in my crossmember!

What trans are you going to run? If it's a T56 I've got a couple of tips for you and if it's going to use a hydraulic clutch make sure you drill holes for the line clamps BEFORE installing the motor - trust me icon_rolleyes.gif

For a radiator there are a few threads here, the HOWE unit I've got was less than $200 and is all aluminum. It'll do icon_smile.gif What will you do for a fan? Accessory routing? Been there done that... They give you wiring instructions too? If not get the JTR book.... Would be very interesting to know exactly what you get for your dollars there, their catalog just isn't clear enough!

Guest Anonymous

Yeah I agree, the JTR crossmember does look to beefy, but on the other hand, I attempted to make one using thinner metal and it flexed noticiably when I dropped the jack from the tranny. (to be fair, I could have probably gusseted it more to stop that, but then it would have weighted the same probably.) I ended up using the JTR one. With the setback, there is a bunch of weight supported on that thing, probably could do with a lighting hole or two though.. It is pretty heavy. icon_smile.gif

A nice OEM type stamped steel one spotted together would be nice.

Regards,

Lone