HybridZ

Has anyone kludged a diff mount?

RPMS

The front differential mount on my stock R180 is toast. The two parts have completely separated from each other. I don't have the money for a new one right now (yeah, I'm THAT poor). Has anyone kludged one together using JB weld, Shoe Goo, or some other stuff like that? I'm willing to try anything, especially since nothing could hurt at this stage. I mean really - it ain't getting any more broke.

i dont know how long even jb weld would hold up as a diff mount, you could just go solid by using washers, youre ride will be harsher but it will hold, if you dont dump the clutch a whole lot or shock it. new diff mount is like 50.00 or less.

Guest Anonymous

There should be euff members out there in Texas for one to give you a R 180 front diff mount. I have only R 200 units or I would give you one. I am assuming that this front mount is the sheet metal unit that not only secures the diff but also one end the A arm of the rear suspension.If an r 200 front mount works . I will give it to you Also this busted unit should weld back up.

for now tie some steelrope (?) wire around it like JTR suggest. That will keep it from clunking around.

And don't tell me you don't wanna rig it like that, cause this is what you asked for.

Thure

I don't want to rig it like... oh, wait, you're right, I DID ask for that! ;) Hey, I've got this hyooooge nylon wire tie (looks like riot handcuffs for King Kong) that I've been thinking about tying it down with, so your idea might be a step up!

TZ, I'll try to take some pictures this weekend and you can see if 180 and 200 mounts look similar. Thanks for your generosity!

If you really want security put in the solid mount from MSA. Offensive to some who have whisper quiet rides. Put one on mine this round. I honestly can't hear it unless my earplugs are in on long drives, Hooker aero is REALLY loud, and even then its just a nice humming reminder of whats happening behind you. BTW Polyurethane trans mount, 3/8 shim under crossmember, with the solid rear has 0 vibrations common with the V8 swaps.

John

Guest Anonymous

Now that I know what you are referring to and busted flat with No rich Texans coming forward with aid.....tie it up like a mad dog with fence wire, chain, cable,bread ties, baling wire or King Kong hand cuffs until you can afford to replace or get to the pick and pull to "kludge" the part over the fence for later retrieval or take a big coat with big pockets to keep you warm.

why don't you just weld it? Now I'm not sure what an R180 mount lookslike...?? but I welded up a broken R200 mount. it became a solid mount though... I just welded on pieces of plate steel, to the two parts...(would normally be held together by the rubber)...

I cut the steel pieces to exact fit...if I ground off the excess weld (I'm an amatuer welder) It would look like it was supposed to be a solid mount...

I swapped from an R180 to an R200 in my 70 Z and reused the front diff mount. So see no reason why an R200 diff mount won't work on an R180. In fact, I didn't know they were different.

For butt cheap I like the idea of welding some steel plates between the upper and lower metal pieces. I don't think you will be able to get the cable tight enough to stop all the clunking. Besides, if you have access to a welder the plate method should be a zero cost option.

Long term look through the archives for alternate diff mount solutions. The stock unit is truely a bad design.

Glad to hear some people can get away with a solid mount. I had one on my Z for 10 minutes and the car was so loud it physically hurt my ears. No exageration.

Originally posted by 240hybrid:

Is that MSA solid mount that loud....I was thinking of installing one on my 240. Is the noise it creates really a big problem?

My car is really loud, much more than I anticipated. The solid mount isn't as harsh as I thought, but some gear noise comes in from the rear. As I said its not noticible until I put my earplugs in! My fuel pump makes much more noise than the solid mount. Triple digits it becomes more pronounced, but little time there, so far. There are more refined solutions, but solid mount isn't going to have the flexing issues under accel/deccel, or ever wear out. Super smooth at highway, under power, slowing. 200 miles to date. I'd put one in my next Z as well.

John

Guest Anonymous

Any one have a 180 mount for RPMS...What noise.... I want my Tomahawk to be the opposite of thunder and lightening. I want the rumble heard long before the flash appears. I wanna a camshaft gears just to add to the din and racket of its presence.

Guest 240hybrid

Hooker aero is REALLY loud, and even then its just a nice humming reminder of whats happening behind you. My fuel pump makes much more noise than the solid mount. I was wondering when you talking about Hooker Aero is that another brand of Diff. mount?? Also what brand fuel pump are you running, Just curious?

Originally posted by 240hybrid:

...I was wondering when you talking about Hooker Aero is that another brand of Diff. mount?? Also what brand fuel pump are you running, Just curious?

Sorry I didn't make clear, Hooker Aero chamber is the muffler. www.holley.com/HiOctn/ProdLine/Products/ES/ESM/Aero.html My fuel pump is a Mallory 140.

John

A plethora of ideas!

I didn't realize that the Datsun mount was only $53 in the VB catalog. I still can't afford one, but at least it's something I can save for. Not like the $150 mount that my BMW needs. rolleyesg.gif

I think for now I'll try using a long bolt with some old swaybar end bushings to provide some small amount of isolation. I don't mind a bit of noise, as long as the majority of it is coming from go-fast bits. 120 dB of noise from a whining differential just ain't cool!

Thanks for all the ideas.

Guest silverbullet

Maybe I am wrong, but it was my undestanding that the MSA solid diff. mount was prone to breakage at the bottom of the bolt, IMHO I like the design I think Pete Paraska used(don't quote me),which was originally designed by someone else, is the way to go and unless something better comes along is probably the one I will try.

Guest 240hybrid

You have a 76 260, right, that diff mount it only $44.02 through MSA. Not much of a difference from BV, but still cheaper. Also thats a good question is the MSA Solid mount prone to breaking at that bottom bolt??? Also would alot of you guys recommend using that solid diff mount over a regular mount for 325-350WHP?

Thanks, 240Hybrid, that's useful information! I haven't gotten my current MSA catalog yet, but it sounds like they'll have my business as soon as it arrives.

I don't think I'd have a non-compliant mount for a differential unless I was going to use the car exclusively for racing. If your diff was making ANY whiney noises, it would probably be deafening inside the car. With a quiet differential it might not make that much difference, though.

(I've gotta say, I'm simply amazed that your screen name wasn't already taken by one of the 3,100 members who preceeded you. You lucked out!)

Guest 240hybrid

Yeah I noticed that britis Victoria is more expensive than MSA, and not a few bucks more but $20-$40 for majority of the items. I just got my catalog from BV and was comparing prices....think I'll stick with MSA. As far as the diff I'll be using its a 87 LSD clutch type, still waiting on my flange adapters, so not sure yet, if its a noisey diff. or not. HOPE not. I was surprised my id name wasnt taken either, I use same name under zcar.com too. Lucked out Good luck rigging up that diff....I'd try the strap it down with the cable idea or weld plates to it like some other people had mentioned in this forum before. 2thumbs.gif