HybridZ

Random car build idea

AkumaNoZeta

I get random ideas all the time, most of them are either boring or completely impossible. But today I thought that maybe an AWD 5.0 Mustang can be made using the transmission from a Skyline GTR. Considering custom bellhousing, dry sump oil pan, and heavy frame/suspension fabrication. Just thought I should share because I think it sounds cool. I would love to build one if I had a customer with an unlimited budget hire me to make it. (I don't have a shop, just saying)

Why use the rarest, most expensive, and sometimes liable to break transmission? Im sure there are alot of other awd drivetrains that you could use instead.

If not the GTR driveline, then what AWD system would you suggest?

before you get grand ideas of making an AWD mustang, firstly, consider looking under an AWD car on a hoist, or even a FWD car on a hoist.

See the way the chassis is designed, to allow room for the driveshafts to come through, and still have enough room for full suspension travel.

Also, note the position of the front diff, relative to the bodywork, and the motor itself.

On some cars (the GTR) the front diff is built into the sump, because the driveshafts for the front wheels need to be pretty much inline with the middle of the engine block.

On the Subaru's, they are only two cylinders long, so the diff and driveshafts is behind the engine and clutch, the motors sit quite far forwards.

On many FWD cars that are also AWD (Evo lancer as an example)

the motor is east-west config, so the normal driveshaft layout remains but with a rear diff shaft coming off the inner side of the gearbox, that is mounted to one side.

Now, your talking about trying to replicate a system that requires a LOT of room, into a chassis that has very limited space between the frame rails, right where you need the space to start with.

the 2 feasible options i see in a S30 chassis, is either cut the body shell off, and drop it on a shortened GTR chassis, or build a tube frame chassis and again, drop the body shell over the top of it.

either way, your taking about a LOT of money.

If you had to pay a workshop to do all the work, i wouldnt expect much change from $300,000

I cant say i have ever bothered to look at a mustang (they dont interest me) but similar RWD V8's have the same basic design, narrow chassis rails, and all the room in the top of the engine bay, for the wider part of the motor.

This wasn't literal, I just have a period of 2 hours total during my day where I have nothing to do but stare at a wall. So I tend to come up with ideas like that. The 5.0 Mustang is actually a really big car (in my mind) and in my opinion anything can be cut and welded to be anything you want. I'm not the type of person afraid to cut stuff up though. For my Z I'm just gonna take everyone's advice and drive it until I get on track of what I really want to do with it, but while I'm driving the Z I'll be re-framing the Mustang and put that BMW IRS I bought in it with custom double A-arm suspension. There's motor work I'll like to do with the Mustang but I'm satisfied with the stock engine enough to not be worried about it at all until after I have all the other things I want done first...in fact probably never do motor-work. After I get that done I should have what I want for the Z all in my mind and the Mustang oughta be worth some buckaroos to be able to sell in order to pay for the Z's mods. I think about this a lot and my plans are constantly being altered

The only way to make an AWD Z that I liked is to take a SR20DE (or any other FWD) transaxle, mount it longitudily and use the half shafts as driveshafts for front to rear differentials. That way you can have a pretty much mid-engine all independent AWD

The only way to make an AWD Z that I liked is to take a SR20DE (or any other FWD) transaxle, mount it longitudily and use the half shafts as driveshafts for front to rear differentials. That way you can have a pretty much mid-engine all independent AWD

lol, I remember yakking over that theoretical hack job :D

Oh, that was you wasnt it? lol. That was quite some time ago but was fun. Funny thing is that the teacher of my Chassis Fabrication class is doing the same thing with a Mitsubishi engine and transaxle for a rock crawler. To the Pulsar one, with that one the engine is still in front of the front axle. The FWD transaxle one has the engine behind the front axle.