HybridZ

My Q45 rear end upgrade

Blown77Z

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got some time to work on the axle again today. I installed the axle without a boot on the outer joint to see how far it was coming out.

Mark, you were right! I removed the retaining ring and pulled on the axle towards the diff and I could pull the guts ALL the way out before it hit the inner end stop. Hopefully tomorrow I can get a large nut or piece of steel welded on the inside of the end stop to limit the axle from coming inward so far allowing the outer guts to come out of the housing.

Got some time to work on the axle again today. I installed the axle without a boot on the outer joint to see how far it was coming out.

Mark, you were right! I removed the retaining ring and pulled on the axle towards the diff and I could pull the guts ALL the way out before it hit the inner end stop. Hopefully tomorrow I can get a large nut or piece of steel welded on the inside of the end stop to limit the axle from coming inward so far allowing the outer guts to come out of the housing.

Glad to see you've been able to make some progress toward your solution!

Pictures~~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :flamedevi

I am trying to mentally see this and struggling to understand what you mean by the guts come out before the axle hits the stops. Do you mean the bearrings come out of the cage? Sorry for a million questions.

EvilC, yes the ball bearings or "guts" were coming out of the housing before the other end of the axle was able to hit the end stop.

I got a large nut welded to the end stop earlier and put it back together for a test fit. The ball bearings, "guts" come out and stop just before the retaining ring. Here's a picture of the progress:

Q45_Guts.JPG

Does this look ok and will it hold ???

If you added material to just one stop, I would add material to the other to push the bearings further back in to the housing.

Your pics will go a long way to helping others sort this out. Nice post.

Hmm, now my question is.....to me it seems that the axles are to short BUT we are running the same rear control arms and have different wear marks and pattern. I believe either my adaptor (mas280 design) or my control arm settings differ from yours and this is why I am not following the logic of adding material to the stops. If I added material to the stops, I believe it would bind up. Also in the picture you show, it seems as if you are "testing" the movement of the axle vertical and I am not 100% sure that show the true movement when mounted horizontal during suspension travel.

Mark, what rear control arms are you running? Blown77Z, you think the camber in the rear pushes the axle inboard and outboard during adjustments. I wonder if the sound I heard at the track is....the axle slamming against the stops or the bearings slamming into the cage as the "guts" come in and out. I guess installing it all together without the boot and then mounting it to the car would be ideal.

Hmm, now my question is.....to me it seems that the axles are to short BUT we are running the same rear control arms and have different wear marks and pattern. I believe either my adaptor (mas280 design) or my control arm settings differ from yours and this is why I am not following the logic of adding material to the stops. If I added material to the stops, I believe it would bind up. Also in the picture you show, it seems as if you are "testing" the movement of the axle vertical and I am not 100% sure that show the true movement when mounted horizontal during suspension travel.

Mark, what rear control arms are you running? Blown77Z, you think the camber in the rear pushes the axle inboard and outboard during adjustments. I wonder if the sound I heard at the track is....the axle slamming against the stops or the bearings slamming into the cage as the "guts" come in and out. I guess installing it all together without the boot and then mounting it to the car would be ideal.

I am running the stock control arms with delrin bushings.

A thicker adaptor would make a difference in how far the axel can move in the housing. Also difference in control arm length settings (camber) will change how far the axel can move.

The sound you are hearing is the axel hitting the stops. This also happens with the 280 zx tripods. The tripod axels have a plastic stop on the inboard side that is there to mute this noise. I've ran the tripod set up with out the plastic stops and it makes the same noise.

Mark, I added a nut on the INNER Q45 housing, the picture you see is the OUTER Q45 housing, which was the side the "guts" were coming out from. The picture represents the furthest the "guts" will travel once the inner end stop has been hit. Do you think I need to add more material to the INNER end stop and push the "guts" further into the housing you see above?

EvilC, the camber adjustment should move the positioning of the "guts", how far so, I have no idea... I'm also a little worried about the "guts" binding up on the welded nut I now have on the inside of the housing :shock:

I would add more to the other stop. It would probably be OK like it is but I would rather be sure everything is staying in place.

Mark, I added a nut on the INNER Q45 housing, the picture you see is the OUTER Q45 housing, which was the side the "guts" were coming out from. The picture represents the furthest the "guts" will travel once the inner end stop has been hit. Do you think I need to add more material to the INNER end stop and push the "guts" further into the housing you see above?

EvilC, the camber adjustment should move the positioning of the "guts", how far so, I have no idea... I'm also a little worried about the "guts" binding up on the welded nut I now have on the inside of the housing :shock:

The axle has been reinstalled, with air tight cv boots this time ! So far so good..... I even drove it to work tonight ! woohoo :)

I was talking to a mechanic friend of mine and he mentioned that if the cv boots were to get air in them that it could help pop the cv out... So, I made damn sure both ends had air tight cv boots.

The more I think of the differences between each axle, that was it, loose fitting end stops... I did replace both passenger side Q45 housings with ones that fit the end stops GOOD and TIGHT, like my driver's side is atm. When I used my first pair of Q45 housings, the passenger side end stops were allowing air to get inside the cv boots, creating pressure and helping push the cv guts out. However, I also needed to add that extra end stop material regardless of that theory...

If the axle holds up tomorrow morning coming home from work, it's off to the dragstrip to test out my new VLSD ;)