HybridZ

LS1 Modified Engine Bay Harness

Hi All,

It has been a long time but I'm back working on my Z. This project took a turn and I'm now installing (soon) a 2002 LS1 engine and T56. I decided to build my own electric harness for the engine. The engine came with an OEM unit but not the harness to tie the chassis too. I bought a harness on Ebay and did the modifications myself. Here are some pictures.

488424627_WpWnd-S.jpg

original harness

488395603_VrSCi-S.jpg

Modified harness

488395709_tBsbB-S.jpg

Modified harness

488395504_jmhCN-S.jpg

Modified harness

488395222_m42Dr-S.jpg

C100, C101, C105, Starter Connectors

488395418_AHJvs-S.jpg

Wire tubing

488395322_FwCXx-S.jpg

Extra wiring from harness

488395806_RoWVZ-S.jpg

Left over fuses and relays

All I have to do is plug-in the engine harness connectors to my modified harness and then

hook-up the ignition switch and battery. In between the two fuse boxes is a big stud for the Battery +. In one of the pictures is the fan harness for the original dual fan unit. I will probably tie both fuse boxes together and mount it close to where it probably went in the Camaro (front drivers side).

Danno74Z

Nice job on the harness. I have gone thru the same thing with my swap. I used the C5 harness and it has a little more wires compare to yours. I eliminated one of the fuse box on mine. I don't see why you need 2 fuse boxes to feed power to the engine. Unless you plan to use the other one to feed all the other accesories in the car and remove the stock fuse box. GL

v.

Hi Vin,

Good to hear from you!

My Z is a 74 vintage and basically has no relays for the LS1 engine. You are correct, I probably could get away with one box but I'm leaning towards safety. One fuse box has the 3 relays for the cooling fans and just a couple fuses. I probably could move the fuses to the other box and just get some fuse holders for the 3 fan relays and piggy back them to the other fuse box. This would be very doable now that I really understand the workings of the wiring. If space becomes a issue which it always seems to I might do this. The other fuse box has 90% of the wiring, relays and fuses and going to one box would simplify things. I'm going with AC so I need a relay and fuse for this system too. Thanks for the advice!

Danno74z

ragefear,

Well yes and no on that statement. You can send your existing engine harness in to a company/service to rework your OEM harness that deletes all unnecessary wires and ADDS fuses and relays for the FI components. If you do a search on "wire harness" you will see what I mean. Harnesses range from about $300 for a reworked unit to $600-700 for a custom unit per your instructions such as length of wire to locate the computer and the fuses and relays you specifically want. Big bucks no matter how you slice it! I bought an EBAY harness for $35 and did my own harness to tie the engine harness to it. In actuality you can leave all the existing wires alone in the "engine harness" and only use what you need through the use of connectors C100, C101, C105, C220 and C230. Those connectors are down in picture 5. Could I go through the engine harness and eliminate those wires that I don't need - absolutely. I probably won't as that is a lot of extra work and who really cares about a few extra wires. I believe someone figured out that 10-15 wires are removed from the engine harness - don't need in a Z conversion. Once I put new fresh (tubing) wrap on the harness it will look brand new. (All those remaining wires are very small gauge that pin to the computer).

Now if you send your harness out to be reworked or purchase a new one all extra wires will be removed from the harness and it will be a custom piece.

I just added this.

I'm thinking about building an engine test stand (nothing fancy) and firing this engine up. All I have to do is run a FI pump to the engine, battery, ignition switch and fire her up - that would be a hoot! I could temporarily mount some gauges (oil, temp, tach) and even hook up my JTR radiator to keep the engine cool for a bit - hell I could even mount the fans and test everything out.

Danno74Z

Yes to the connectors BUT if you have to go through emissions you will need all that equipment that came with the engine OR the car. You have to know your emission laws. Also you will have to delete or keep the emissions code in the computer. If you delete the emission equipment from the engine you have to delete it from the computer or should. You can probably delete it from the computer and leave the stuff on the engine but why? The front O2 sensors you should keep for the engine to run correctly. If you switch over to a carb (some people do) you can dump everything but that is another subject.

PLEASE go through the search engine here and on http://www.LS1tech.com and 99% of all your questions will be answered on this subject. On LS1tech go to the hybrid forum and do a search and study the stickys links. Every conceivable question and answer on swapping an LS1 is there.

Danno74Z

The DLC is a connector that you probably did not get with your engine. Looking at the connector (D shaped) pin 1 is in the top left and pin 16 is at the lower right. Here is what you do:

Pin 2 of the DLC goes to Pin K (DK Green) on C230 (serial data blu- pin 58 on the computer)

Pin 4&5 of the DLC are shunted and grounded

pin 16 of the DLC goes to a 20 amp acc fuse and is hot (batt +) all the time.

That is it - simple.

Danno74Z

No problem at all.

I wrote to the guy who did the drawing and suggested he fix connector C220 layout. Pin E needs to be grounded and he left out pin G for the reverse lights. These wires appear in other documentation for the LS1 swap.

Danno74Z

Thanks to all of you guys here as I will be faced with the same situation. I have a 1971 Datsun and am going to put a Generation I SBC yet it will have Gen III harness and PCM. The PCM is a 411 and will get Craig Moates conversion to be able to tune on the fly with EFI Live hardware and software. Will also have Ign Coil per plug just like the Gen III LSx by using the stuff EFIconnection is able to supply. Bought the harness and accessories off Ebay and got more than I expected. MAF, Drive by Wire Throttle Body, electronic box for same, all the Ign coils, throttle pedal etc. etc.