HybridZ

Need Tranny Advice-280Z turbo swap

Guest GreenZ

I'm putting a 83 turbo engine in my 77 280Z. I have the engine and tranny complete as it was pulled from the wrecked car. It is the T-5, which I also have in my other 83 turbo. I am not too crazy about the way it shifts and need to know if a 81-83 N/A tranny would be a better swap. If I use that tranny, could I still use my same 77 crossmember and driveshaft? I don't have the driveshaft or diff/halfshafts from the 83 turbo and was thinking the 81-83 N/A 5 speed would be a better choice. Any advice you guys could give me? Thanks

Do you have the stock shifter on your T5? It is a first class POS. Buy an aftermarket shifter, the Nissan T5 will use the same shifter that a Ford T5 uses. Makes a completely different animal out of it. I think the gear ratios in the NA suck for a driver with 3.54 in the back. 3.90 would be better, but 4.10 even better still for acceleration. The T5 has a 3.5 first gear, same as the early 4 speed (70-76) rather than the 3.3 that the 77-78 had (same as "early" 5 speed) The overdrive of the T5 is more than the early 5 speed, but just slightly less than the late 5 speed. You will have to modify your crossmember and drive shaft to use the T5. The NA trans will use the existing driveshaft and crossmemer. IME, there are two different shifters used in the 5 speeds. The early trans I had used the same shifter as the 4 speed. The 81 trans in my car had a shifter with a shorter (maybe it was longer...) distance between ball in trans and pivot. Either way, it would not engage 5th gear. You cannot use the ZX shifter because it is straight up and horribly located. I first bent a ZX shifter to match the shape of the first gen shifter, but IMO, it was WAY too short. I then cut the handle off the ZX shifter and the 4 speed shifter I had and welded the two together to get the correct pivot length and handle shape. FWIW, I bought a T5 for my car and am looking forward to getting it swapped in. I bought a Hurst Comp Plus shifter for an 83-86 Mustang. I may have to buy a different handle, but even on the shop floor it is amazing how much better it shifts!

i run a 82 zx na trans behind turbo engine.reason-nissan t5 has ratio gaps that dont work when car is used on a road course like sears point or laguna.plus the 82 /83 trans has a better 5th.the t5 might be better for drag racing.the shock load is what kills the trans.the na trans is good if you dont drag race.most of trans problems come from leaky speedo gear drive-trans runs low.i have a zxt t5 bell housing i might try to put a world class close ratio t5 on.and that is NOT a standard oem mustang trans.

Randy, what kind of power are putting out? I'm trying to decide if I should rebuild/replace my auto or convert to the n/a 5sp lying in the garage. I'm going to a t04b hybrid turbo that I can push to about 325-350 hp. I don't think a clutch is made to hold that kind of power for the n/a flywheel. Just wondering what your setup is doing for you.

Bernard

GreenZ- I have a pumped n/a when I finished the build I was on the hunt for a T-5.When I FINALLY found one it was at a transmission rebuild shop and he had 1 and NO na trans.so I KNOW he wasnt lying when he said Ive been in the biz for 30+ years and I would love to take your money but the na is a FAR better trans than the T-5,the T-5 is $%#@.Im running a centerforce 2 and I can bark 3rd gear with the na tranny and 390 rearend so I have no regrets. ;)