HybridZ

what is the best way to cut tubing?

icapture

I am now starting on my exhaust and I am wondering what the best way to cut 3" exhaust tubing would be. I have a metal bit on my Dewalt miter saw and that works, but the metal gets super hot if i dont go really slow.

Is this the best way? I'm gonna be doing a lot of cuts because I am doing segment bends.

Thanks,

Adam

Metal band saw would be my vote. You can get a small one that will do up to 4" tube from Harbor Freight for $150ish. It is one of the best tools I've purchased from them and I've used mine A LOT.

This is the only one on their website right now, but I'm guessing if you had a catalog or went into a store you'd find the typical price (they usually have 2 or 3 prices for every item, so you have to look for the cheapest one).

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93762

man that looks sexy - AND way better than the miter saw im using. The blade on my saw is wayyy to thick i think, its loud as hell.

I dont really have the room for something like that right now - i wonder if i can rent something like that somewhere.

I am now starting on my exhaust and I am wondering what the best way to cut 3" exhaust tubing would be. I have a metal bit on my Dewalt miter saw and that works, but the metal gets super hot if i dont go really slow.

Is this the best way? I'm gonna be doing a lot of cuts because I am doing segment bends.

Thanks,

Adam

My post from a while back:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=142656

The fab and welding forum is a good place to search.

I used a cheap chop saw....Its exhaust pipe, for that matter use a hack saw and a hand grinder. It will get hotter when you weld it.

I know Im looking at this from a simplistic view....but thats all it takes and its been done that way a million plus times.