HybridZ

Not a Z but very cool fab work

wheelman

I was reading my latest edition of Grassroots Motorsports, the article about the $2008 challenge. They published a link to the build website for one of the competitors. It's a V8 powered 68 Bug.

Pages I found of particular interest:

Days 11-15 shows a couple pictures of a 180 degree header system the guy fabbed up. Unfortunately the pictures don't show a lot of detail but they're still cool.

Days 66-70 has 2 videos of them running tests at the drag strip. This thing has a very unique sound.

They built the car in 77 days.

Here is the link to the home page: http://cam777.synthasite.com

Enjoy!!

Now that is good old fashioned hot rodding! They made most of that car from scratch, way awesome!!! I remember reading in GRM about the work it took to fab up those 180* headers, I really do wonder how much of an increase they actually provide over long tubes. Just looking at the amount of work done, that family really knows fabrication, welding, . . . . . really awesome.

I don't like the looks of this part of their cage though

7-12%20%288%29.jpg

they butted up two pieces of tubing and welded them together. I don't know how safe that is...especially on a bug

but HEY! this article IS Z related!

7-18%20%284%29.jpg

the engine came from a V8 Z!

man, I bet that Z sounded WICKED with those 180 headers it came with

(hey, know we know what sort of setup 180 headers will work on in a Z lmao)

Have to say, I really like the mindset that the Grassroots magazine takes. Learn to do the work yourself, make parts fit, make your own parts, and be creative. See the convertible 'Vette from last years 200x challenge, that had a motor creating a negative pressure underneath the car, with a rubber skirt?

That is at the strip were I go to as well. I didn't see the bug there but I did see that guys 260z a few years back. It wasn't pretty but did run a 10.78 NA. The video doesn't do justice for the sound. It is very unique. Sounds closer to a 6 cylinder than a v-8.