HybridZ

Phantom Grip LSD???

ZR8ED

Anyone have any info on these units for a Z?

Anyone use one?

I went to their site, but they only mention a kit for the R200 in the 240sx. Will it fit our R200's (ours have a longer pinion drive correct?)

I'm just curious on the kit itself.. are they any good? I hardly trust a mfg claim.. let alone a company I only know through the internet. tongue.gif

Thanks.

I put one in when I had everything torn apart for coilovers. As I've heard from others, mine didn't fit properly, which is the one for the 240sx if I remember correctly. Over all I only notice it when loosing traction. I haven't gotten the alignment done yet, so I don't know if the understeer I now have is do to the phantom grip or alignment. I installed the bump steer spacers at the same time and it could be those aswell. Once I get it aligned I'll have more info on it for you. I'm sure more will chime in.

Guest jwelch

ZR8ED;

I have a brand new one in the box. I bought mine in Mike's(scca)group Hybrid Z group purchase.

Looks like I may be selling my Z so if your interested let me know before you buy one straight from the company.

I will make you a better deal.

Regards

I bought one during Mike's group purchase too. I'm still a long way off from installing it, but I would like to hear from the guys who have time to test it.

There were a few updates a few months back, but the installations were too new to get much useful feedback at that time. Let's hear from the guys who've put a few miles on 'em.

The Phantom is still holding up in the 240 . I think for the money it is a good investment,looking at 300 dollars or 1000 made it an easy choice for me. I am putting 340 pound feet to it from 2500 rpm to 6000 when I shift.So far I have seen no signs of wear in about 2000 miles of mostly spirited driving.

If you are asking if it is as positive as a regular clutch type limmited slip, I would have to say no.Phantom works on the principal of friction between two dissimilar metals with no clutch material between and thus more slippage is likely.I think wear will be greater over time also, and unlike clutch types that can be rebuilt when these wear down it is trash can time.

I get very good traction from the Phantom when leaving the line and accelerating in a straight line but slightly less when cornering. In a car producing 200 pound feet with the same R200 differential I think the traction on corners would be better. Lets not forget this unit was designed for a 200SX not for a "real 350Z".

Installing the phantom was about a 2 hour job after the diff was out of the car.I did have to machine about 15/1000ths off the inner plates to get the fit I wanted but others used a slightly tighter fit with no problems reported as of yet.

Geratest thing since sliced bread?? No. A good bang for the buck?? Yes in my opinion.YMMV

Dennis

On 1/3/2003 11:51:11 PM zcar_dad wrote:

~Hey, v8Z - we were talking recently about your Phantom Grip rear end. How about posting a note for all about what it is, what it does for your car, and how you like it? I know they are cheaper then a Quaife but would it hold up at the track (HPCCC)? Thanks

Followup Messages: