HybridZ

Z31 R200 LSD noise...backlash?

CU Zcar

I got a 1988 300ZXT (auto.) R200 LSD quite a while ago and popped it in the car, only to find that the "little noise" encountered during deceleration according to the seller was actually a horrifying grinding noise in my car, a 1978 280 5-spd, perhaps amplified by my solid front mount. I recently dropped it back out and checked the backlash, my 78 manual states that R200s should have a backlash of about 0.003-0.007 in, but my gears are showing about 0.010 in of backlash. Is that alone enough to cause the bad sounds I'm hearing? I was unable to check the gear contact pattern yet with bluing compound, probably next weekend...hoping that will uncover the problem.

My question is, what else could cause the sound? Unloaded, out of the car, the gears and bearings aren't making any really bad sounds. The ring gear doesn't look ground up or anything, though the sides of the teeth do look pretty shiny...good or bad? Could the problem have been caused by my axles not being popped in all the way or something similar? Thanks,

Most likely a pinion bearing and it will tear it up if you keep driving it. It should be torn down and inspected for any failed/worn componest. .010 is not unusaly backlash in a used diff, nor is it extreme. Polished gear teeth is normal in a used diff as well.

Well it won't be driven on again in its present state, I stopped driving it ASAP when I put that diff in. After I check the gear mesh pattern I'll move on to the bearings, etc...just gotta put some time into this equation...while keeping up with everything else I've got to do!