HybridZ

Quick T56 question...

If your not already aware you have to use a clutch for a lt1 camaro/firebird and a 153 tooth flywheel for that transmition. You buy an adaptor kit to convert the clutch setup form a pull type to the standard push type and use a clutch of your likings but, its a few hundred dollars alone for the new coversion slave cylinder. The ls1 t56 is already set up for the push type clutch and will bolt to a sbc.

With the correct flywheel (2 piece rear main), will the LT style clutch and pressure plate work? Also, I've been reading for a few hours now about the hydraulic setup. The way I am reading it is that everyone swaps clutch/pressure plate/hydraulics styles as a preference for more clutch selection. Is this true? Will the factory clutch/hydraulics work or not? I have read about an exhaust issue but haven't been able to find any pictures explaining how it is a clearance problem. I am going back and forth between T5 and T56 right now. I have EVERYTHING for the swap...except a tranny. Thanks in advance.

The LT1 t56 is a direct bolt-up to a SBC, you need a new flywheel that will use the LT1 Pressure plate and clutch disc, there available from MCleod or Centerforce for the early SBC, the stock hydralics will work but it is easier to go with a new 7/8" Tildon or whatever master as adapting the F body master is a bitch, get a new slave from a T5, as if bolts right up and has a bleeder, get the metal one, Search, there are a bunch of threads about this already.

The Centerforce flywheel is less than the Mcleod I know for a 400SBC with counter balance it is a 460370W-2C 153 tooth with counter balance, you need a new pilot bearing also.

Greg

Yes you will need this flywheel http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=CTF%2D700107&autoview=sku

For the rest you have to use the factory lt1 car clutch setup ie. slave cylinder, pressure plate/disk because the clutch is a pull type clutch and not a push type like all other cars use and will only work with the lt1 style clutch.

It is true you have many other choices of clutch and flywheel combos if you convert to the push type clutch but, its a few hundred dollars alone just for the slave cylinder from Mcleod it may be cheaper from another company but i have not called any one else.

The tremec is a better transmission hands down, only while using the lt1 bellhousing and slave cylinder witch is externaly mounted on the trans on the drivers side and sits about 1-2 inches from the body so the exhaust will have to be routed around it.

bruin_d: Don't be mislead, the 93-97 T56 is mounted behind a SBC with a 153 tooth flywheel that goes onto a 1 piece rear main seal crankshaft. This is exactly what I am putting into my 1971 240Z. I purchased a Fidanza aluminum flywheel and centerforce clutch, pressure plate and specific bolts to match.

The LT1 engine DOES have the 1 piece rear main seal crankshaft and the diameter and bolt pattern are DEFINITELY different. Not sure about the Centerforce 2 piece rear main seal flywheel mating up with the pull to disengage clutch and pressure plate that was standard behind the 93-97 T56 transmission. And Centerforce people at SEMA in Las Vegas informed me as to exactly what GM part number bolts to use. Special ordered the bolts from GMpartsdirect.com.