HybridZ

Would a 300ZX Turbo T5 work in a 77 280Z?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have a 300ZX Turbo T5 and wanted to install it in my 77 280Z 2+2. Someone told me I would have to get a 280ZX Turbo bellhousing and it would bolt right on. I know the driveshaft will probably need to be shortened. But is there anything else I should know?

Guest Anonymous

You want the Turbo or 2+2 flywheel,clutch,pressure plate and the throw out bearing that came with that T5.......go Turbo 0r 2+2 from the crank to the T5..... RE-edit I missed read the question and thought it was a 280 ZX T5

300zx tranny won't work. Even if you get the 280 bellhousing, the input shaft is still going to be quite a bit too long to work. ONly way it may work is if you changed the input shaft and bellhousing but for that much of a pain you could just find a 280zx tranny and bolt it right in.

JT

I don't think you can change the input since the 300 and 280 T5 have different first gear ratios, they have a different number of teeth. YOu would also have to change the cluster gear. Since the 300 is too long, you could disassemble the trans and have the input shaft machined to the 280 dimensions, but once again, unless that is the gear ratio you MUST have, might as well hold out for the 280 trans, or you are a machinist...