HybridZ

What to expect

Angrec

Hello all Im rather a newb to the datsun scene and had a question for you guys.

I recently got the l26 in my z running and it amazed me how good of condition it is in, leaving me to wonder if it would be more prudent to fix this up over the l28e I recently got ahold of.

The big question is what can I expect out of the motor and will it be able to make my goal of matching the 06 mustang gt my family owns, for any kind of reasonable amount.

• Administrators

Expect it to make cool BRAAAP... BRAAAAAAAP.... noises when you mash the loud pedal, pending other than stock muffler of course. Also, if it is in good tune, fuel ratios and igniton timing are optimized, you'll be rewarded with ear to ear grins from being set back in the seat, typcial of a strong running L-6. :D

Hmmmm.... depends on what you deem to be a "reasonable amount". My '72 has a better power to weight ratio than a new GT pony car, but it has had its share of modifications done to the ole' L28.

I'd be willing to change the heads and such but something along the lines/cost of stroking the motor would be to much. Also to remember its an l26, I have an l28e but the l26 runs so well im hesitant to swap it if I can get my target speed out of it (being as good as a slightly beefed up 06 gt mustang, so low 13's)

The 06 Mustang is rated at what, 300hp at the crank?

I believe that's near what a well-built stroker is running.

Your best bet for getting a good deal of horsepower without spending a hefty sum on a stroker is probably the turbo route.

Yeah ours has a few upgrades to and is about 330-320. Ill search around here on what it takes to turbo an l26