HybridZ

Triumph Spitfire with Ford SVO 2.3 Turbo

boardkid280z

Common problem... and thats with a race prepped 1147cc motor... Only like... 100-130hp. However I'm sure those dudes switched to the proper axles. Its a well known problem. :P

I'm going to say that the entire rear end in those Spitfires is a known problem. My friend in highschool broke a spindly-looking u-joint doing basic burnouts (I was with him, but not driving, thank you). I have a idea that those cars were not made for any kind of "punishment" at all. They do look and sound good though...

Davy

My dad created the axles that Summers Brothers now sells. In the early/mid 90's he was doing endurance races with a TR6 and then sprint races with a Spitfire. Broke a set, replaced them, broke those the next day but this time the wheel passed him up and the entire frame of the car twisted and like broke the door hinges off and stuff. He WAS selling his axles to people in England and stuff because they run the fuel injected 150cc motors and no one was making a reliable axle. After the initial rush of customers I think things slowed down and he wasn't coming out well having the axles made so he sold or gave or whatever the patents to Summers Brothers and now they sell the damn things for $1500-$2000.

I don't think they ever came out with a LSD diff so the racers have theirs welded up which strains them a retarded amount and they'll blow too if abused too much. Leaf spring setup, some came with the swivel spring which I'm not sure what it does... I just install whats on the list of things the customer wants me to do... The racers in our club will run the built up axles, drum brakes in the rear, swivel spring, welded rear end. The front is all GT6 suspension for the larger disk brakes. I think a rotary engine in one of these things would be neat. I've seen one online once before...

PS: Doesn't the same thing happen to the Z cars if the axle snaps? Entire hub assembly comes off and hopefully the brake line will hold it on?

I don't think the wheel would come off on a Z because of the way everything holds together.

I could be wrong though. but judging from the diagrams in my FSM, it looks like the only way the wheel could fall off would be if the stub axle sheered. (or is that what you're talking about lmao)

I know on a swing axle bug, your worst nightmare is breaking an axle. because once you do that, it'll end up pulling whatever part of the axle is still hanging to the wheel, and it alllll slides out (and you better hope it broke close to the transaxle so you have a little more time before it falls out)

The Spifires' IRS only have one u-joint, so the geometry is like a early VW Beetle swing-axle. During a sharp turn the outside rear wheel can "hook" under and fold over, snapping off at the weak spot is the outboard end of the axle.

They had a good run, building the same basic car '62-'80...using 1930's technology. :-)

0128.jpg