HybridZ

Q45 diff in early 240z?

EvilC

Let me start off by saying, I have never had an early 240z until I started to swap my v8 drive train over to this car. All of my stuff is coming out of my 73 240z. So I always heard people say, "early diff mount position" and never really care to see what it looks like....silly me! :mrgreen:

Ok I have the TTT (techno toy tuning) q45 front diff mount and I notice while just getting things into place for the paint shop that the mount is "short" on the bolt holes to be used to mount it to the old mounting point of the strap. This is due to the "front" mount position of the series one early 240z. The later models 72 and on came with the "back" mount position of the diff which also moved the 4 holes for the strap. I am wondering if anyone ran into this problem and have a fix. I am thinking I am going to have to weld another section onto the mount to make it work. I would really hate to start hacking up the nice mount :icon56: Also because I have been chasing a vibration problem...this is the last thing I need....drive train angles to be out of wack.

So maybe someone has pics of "front" and "rear" mounted 240 diffs, it would be a great addition to this thread...thanks guys!

Clive, I wish I had an answer for you for this problem but I do not. But I wonder if you could post a few pictures of of the TTT front Mount? I have not seen that one yet and am looking at all the options.

Thanks Buddy

I will get some pics for you this weekend. I spoke to Rick @ TTT and he is willing to make another mount for me that fits the series one cars. I will shoot him some pics and numbers and hopefully I can have one back within a month or so. That was a great help from TTT!!!!

Clive, I wish I had an answer for you for this problem but I do not. But I wonder if you could post a few pictures of of the TTT front Mount? I have not seen that one yet and am looking at all the options.

Thanks Buddy

Pics:

500877370_RKByN-XL.jpg

500877295_wZySN-L.jpg

500877202_xHFC7-L.jpg

I will email TTT tonight and give them some pics and measurements I took and they will make another diff mount for me and I hope it will be a model for anyone else who needs one for an early Z 69-71.

I have an April 1971 built 240Z and purchased TTT's front diff mount for an R230 but won't be installing it for a month or so. Do any of the knowledgeable Z guru's know at what point, date-wise, the diff strap location may have changed? I'd sure like to know if I have a problem, and fix it, before I'm ready to bolt on the part.

Mike Mileski

Tucson, AZ

Let me start off by saying, I have never had an early 240z until I started to swap my v8 drive train over to this car. All of my stuff is coming out of my 73 240z. So I always heard people say, "early diff mount position" and never really care to see what it looks like....silly me! :mrgreen:

Ok I have the TTT (techno toy tuning) q45 front diff mount and I notice while just getting things into place for the paint shop that the mount is "short" on the bolt holes to be used to mount it to the old mounting point of the strap. This is due to the "front" mount position of the series one early 240z. The later models 72 and on came with the "back" mount position of the diff which also moved the 4 holes for the strap. I am wondering if anyone ran into this problem and have a fix. I am thinking I am going to have to weld another section onto the mount to make it work. I would really hate to start hacking up the nice mount :icon56: Also because I have been chasing a vibration problem...this is the last thing I need....drive train angles to be out of wack.

So maybe someone has pics of "front" and "rear" mounted 240 diffs, it would be a great addition to this thread...thanks guys!

EvilC: Now I know why the snubber I fabbed according to a drawing here on Hybridz did not fit my early 71 240Z when installing a long nose R200. Drilled two extra holes to make things line up and then fabbed another piece as a snubber accessory to the other fabbed bracket. Now the nose of the R200 CANNOT rise under strong torque.