HybridZ

Super-Interesting Wiper Problem

Hey guys - Thanks in advance for any help people give!

First things..

1983 280zx Manual 2+2 GL non USA model (for wiring diagram reasons)

The problem I am having is with the "wash" mode on the wiper.

1) Whenever I pull back the Wiper stalk nothing happens.

2) When I disconnect the plug from the washer pump and pull back the wiper stalk, it will activate the wash wiper sequence. (but obviously not spray water onto the window.

now the interesting bits.

The connector into the washer pump is a 2 pin connector, the 2 wires into the pins are LW (Blue White) and GB (Green Black).

Whilst plug is disconnected:

3) When I light test the circuit with a 12v bulb from ground to GB, the light glows Solid.

4) When I light test the circuit with a 12v bulb from ground to LW, the light does NOT glow at all, however, it triggers the wiper sequence on.

??????

5) When I move the test lamp back to GB after turning on the sequence from LW, the light will turn on and off for the duration of the sequence.

Ive been reading through the wiring diagram for hours and hours trying to figure out how the ♥♥♥♥ the system works and ive come up with that: The intermittant wiper amplifier must be changing volts / polarities on certain wires going to and from the wiper motor.

I cant seem to get my head around the wiring diagram showing switches INSIDE the wiper motor... how are these switches activated and why are they there?

If anyone can help shed some light on this itd be appreciated.. Im sick of using my rear washer motor to spray water onto my windscreen.. (even though its an effective workaround).

Cheers.

edit - I suddenly have a sneaking suspicion I posted this in the wrong place... O_o

OK I'll give what I can remember.

I just fixed mine a month or so ago.

The problem for mine was in the switch on the tree.

I could shine a light into wiper mechinsm (through the side) and see the contact.

With some small tools I was able to bend the contact untill I got activation.

It seemed to me farting around with it (no manuel in hand) the pump activation starts the the wipers, that then some how kills the pump.

This seqence continues untill you let off the switch.

Hope this can help some;)

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers!

Turns out it was just a simple contact issue with the wiper stalk.. over time the copper finger that contacts wasnt fully contacting on the switch... pulled the stalk apart and bent it a little with some longnose pliers so it now gets full contacts and it works like new!

Thanks for your insight!

-Terry