HybridZ

stub axles !?

evildky

Originally posted by evildave:

I have a 78 with an r200 and can not figure out how to remove the stub axles ? some trick I am unaware of ?

Here ya go, still fresh at 9 days ;)

http://www.hybridz.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=001272

"If I take the 4 bolts off of the flange that connect to the halfshaft" (at the wheel/hub side) there is a big bolt (big nut on the end of the stub axle, stub axle is the actual flange your wheel is bolted to...it has a splined axle that passes thru the rear hub, thru the companion flange and is then nutted down by the big nut)

behind that. After the big bolt (nut) comes off the (companion) flange will come out, but I will need to remove the stub axle (25 spline) and replace it with a 280 stub axle (27 spline)?

You have to replace stub axles and companion flanges as pairs as they share the splines. So if you have 240Z stubs/companion flanges and want 280Z units.....find a set of 280Z units, send me the companion flanges to mate with CV adaptors, I'll send you CV adaptors back....then remove your rear 240Z stubs/comp. flanges and reinstall your new 280Z stubs/comp.flanges mated with CV's as a new unit.

If you do go the route of removing your rear stubs, it's a good time to do any other planned rear brake work as you have to remove some parts in common anyhow, just an option.

"Next question, It looks like a PITA to remove the stub axles? Whats the best way?"

First remove the halfshaft, then with a diegrinder or similar, 'unstake' the peened portion on that 'big nut', their's a flat portion under it into which the nut has been 'pinched' in and if you grind out the pinched portion then the nut will come off (still takes lots of force but at least it will come off). I use a 400 ft-lb impact with a large breaker bar tiewired to my wheel studs so the axle can't turn.....be very careful if you do this that your breaker bar is secured in the correct orientation and safely! Once that big nut is off the ideal way IMO to remove the stub axle is to beg/borrow a slide hammer, it bolts onto the wheel studs and you give it 2-4 BIG tugs and your stub axle just jumps out. (set your car up in your garage such that you have enough stroke on either side to use the slide hammer ).

Originally posted by evildave:

sorry guess I called the parts by the wrong name, I mean the stubs that go into the diff that the halfshafts bolt to, I can not get them out of the differential housing, I need them out so I can install a lsd

Just put a prybar on opposite sides of one flange/lever them and 'pop' it out....another way is to leave the halfshaft bolted to them and use the shaft as a mild slide hammer and they pop out as well......just a large Cclip holding them in. If you're putting an LSD in for big power you may want CV's in which case you won't need those small input stubs anyhow.....good luck!

Like Ross says, they will pop out with a little pry-bar action. I pulled enough I actually made a puller. It is a 3" angle about 4" long. I drilled holes that cover three of the stub bolts, then welded a nut in the middle that connects to my slide hammer. Finger tighten 3 nuts, and one jerk, and it's off.

If you do have to pull the stub axles as well, the slide hammer is the ONLY way to go.