HybridZ

Supra LSD??

PaulR

Anyone try to make a Toyota Supra differential work in a Z? I just came from the Pull-A-Part yard and saw 2 of them there. One was a build date of May '85, the other was a similar vintage. They have a finned rear cover, use CV jointed half-shafts, and have a sticker that says "use LSD oil only", which imlpies limited slip, right ;) I couldn't turn the wheels to verify LSD or ratios. The yard wants $30 for the diff and $20 for each half-shaft. Anyway, I seached the archives and didn't see anything. Even if I could make it fit, any opinions as to whether or not this diff vould hold up behind a healthy V8?

Thanks,

Paul

Well you can`t hardley go wrong for 70 beans. Try looking on one of the SUPRA forums, and post a question about the reliability and power handling capability. If anyone would know they should.

As far as adaptability, With a TORCH, a WELDER, and some CASH, anything will FIT. ;)

Originally posted by Dp351zcar:

Paul what yard were you in? Were the other parts that cheap for the other cars?

Don

Pull-A-Part in South Everett, just N of 128th on Hwy 99. Yes, their parts are very inexpensive. There is another Pull-a-Part in Lynnwood on Hwy 99 w/ same prices.

• 1 month later...
Guest Maxwell

Paul, Did you try the Supra LSD? I was at a yard two weekends ago, and they had two Supras... for much cheaper than I have found the Nissan LSD. I'd love to read a good write up. 2thumbs.gif

Max

Originally posted by Maxwell:

Paul, Did you try the Supra LSD?

Max

No, I didn't. I've got too many other projects going so I didn't want to try to engineer a swap from scratch. I was hoping someone else might have figured it out. First glance looks like it could be done, but as they say, "the devil's in the details".

Guest Anonymous

Helped my friend pull the LSD out of a Mk3 supra a month or so ago. 4.11 ratio if it's tht non turbo ones with the TEMS (electronically adjustable) suspension. He ended up paying 150 or so but he said that's about right. I don't see why it couldn't be made to work on a Z though with appropriate flanges adapted. It uses 6 bolts on the side flanges to attach the CV's. It could be possible with a full rear axle to use those CV axles, they were pretty beefy looking, might need to shorten the outer end and find a way to adapt the bearing to work in a Z rear strut. Probably wouldn't be cheap but my friend with the supra said they're a pretty durable unit. The housing is about the same size in diameter as an R200 but probably 6 inches shorter front to back. (shorter pinion area vs an R200). I think with a longer driveshaft and some changes to the rear mount for the moustache bar it could be done, I was thinking about it as an option when I helped him pull it quite a bit. Worst case for 70 bucks buy it and you should be able to sell it for about 150 to the supra guys if it's the 4.11 as they're a bit harder to come by, the turbo ones are a 3.something ratio. 3.7 If I recall correctly.

If I could ever get my car on a lift I'd do it. I love the way the LSD diff in my `87 Supra Turbo feels in the turns.

How do you shorten the half shafts? Sounds like it could be pretty expencive to do. I have the R200 CV adapters welded up and ready to go in the car I'm sure a similar adapter with a different bolt pattern could make it an easy bolt up.

AS I know it, all Supras have lsds. and they are every bit as bullet proof as our R200's

My buddy absolutely beats on his modded 82 Supra, and it has a stock 3.7 lsd. MkIII supras had higher ratios (ie 4.1) etc..

They are about the same size as the r200, but mounting it is the big question....I have not seen one up close for a while, so I can't recall the mounting method.

mkII supras do have a rear suspension similar to the Z31's

Originally posted by ZR8ED:

AS I know it, all Supras have lsds. and they are every bit as bullet proof as our R200's

I got a minute to stop by a yard with a late 80's Supra late last week and had my camera with me and a tape measure:) So I snapped some quick pics for those interested (already sent to Paul)......no time to upload them to my server to reference on hybridz but feel free if you'd like to. It was nearly dark but they turned out pretty good with dimensions even visible ;)

I know the diff's are light/short, no idea on longevity etc.......double A arm setup looked nice and reasonably lightweight.

Drop me an email sales@modern-motorsports.com if you'd like the pics sent to you.