HybridZ

Window Crank Question

GeeZ

I have never run into this. The window regulator stub to which the window

crank handle attaches seem larger than any crank handle I have can it. It is on my 280Z which many changes were made by the previous owner.

The crank handles I have came from 280Z, 260Z, 240z. All will fit part way in but not enough met the slot in the regulator stub. I tried pressing it on with my palm but as soon as I use the crank, the handle falls off.

Anyone have this problem before?

there's a clip that slides in when you have it on the stub. If you look at the crank handle, you can 2 slots where its suppose to slot in. kind of a PITA to get on, if you have large hands :P

The window handles are easy to get on. Put the clip on the handle FIRST! Then just push it on and the stub separates the clip as it goes on. As soon as you reach the slots the clip snaps in. Done!

I remember when I discovered this, it was a D'OH moment because I had been trying to use needle nose pliers, etc. to slide that clip in there.

The window handles are easy to get on. Put the clip on the handle FIRST! Then just push it on and the stub separates the clip as it goes on. As soon as you reach the slots the clip snaps in. Done!

I remember when I discovered this, it was a D'OH moment because I had been trying to use needle nose pliers, etc. to slide that clip in there.

Never ran into that, but my car hasn't far enough to put on those minor things for 7 year :P

I have done this before in other Z cars. I spoke to the previous owner and affirms it is the same crank before he bought. He had re-upholstered the panels and I think that somehow the panel is preventing the crank from being pushed completely. The other side was also done but it fits o.k. I am intending to cut the panel to try again.

Thanks for your advice.

• 5 months later...

Ok, I feel like a dork, but how do you get the clips off so you can take the handle off and then the panel. I am use to the window cranks that screw into the little nub that it goes on. I'm sure it's a "D'Oh" move, but I'm about to scream...thanks.

It can be tricky. I normally use a skinny screwdriver and poke at the open end of the clip until one side or the other pops out of it's groove.

Ok, I feel like a dork, but how do you get the clips off so you can take the handle off and then the panel. I am use to the window cranks that screw into the little nub that it goes on. I'm sure it's a "D'Oh" move, but I'm about to scream...thanks.

i have a hook ended small tool i use just for that purpose, curved like a 'J', but lacking that a relatively stiff piece of wire (paperclip or otherwise) will do. I find it is not that hard to get the clip out, but make sure not to spring it into the bush next to the door :cry: like I did...

putting the small clip back on is a PITA. you can buy a door handle clip tool for about $5-6, but i find it easier to do as DCZ says, except i don't put it on all the way, as it will interfere with the serrated stub. I just put it on part way, (sometimes with a tiny bit of tape if it is fighting me and desiring to spring into the bush next to my door) then slide the handle on gently, then reach in with a tool and push in the last 1/8 inch. Kinda hard to explain, but obvious when you do it.