HybridZ

CV Swap started but I have some questions!

80LS1T

Guest 240hybrid

Man I wish I had that tool when I did my outter bushings. Had to beat the scheisse out of the spindle with a 2lb sledge, and ended up rethreading them. What would be the price of a tool like that??

Hey 80Lt1....a spindle is roughly 12" straight rod with threaded ends thats about 5/8 in diameter. It runs through the outter control arm bushing, then through the stub axle housing/hub and back out the other control arm bushing, keeping them aligned together so their not flappin the breeze. You'll see a bolt at each end of the outter ends of the control arms, thats the rod ends. Hope this helps. Chase

Guest 240hybrid

I appreciate that. I might get at him for that tool in the near future...dont have the $ right now, but I have a great running N/A 2.8 with only 60,000 on it with some mods. Will prob. get another 240z for a daily driver and throw that in it after I get done with my 280zxt/240 project. Will most likely go through all the bushings in that future Zcar too and need that item then. Thanks again. Chase.

Never mind I found them at Fleet Farm! Grade 5 nut in 9/16 but I can remember what the thread pitch was. It wasn't there normal hardware though it was off in some organized nut box type thing!? bonk.gif

I am officially done with my R200/CV swap! cheers.gifrockon.gif What a PITA! But I think it's going to be worth it in the end! :D

Anyways thanks for all the help the past 2 weeks!

Guy

I just finished my CV swap about 3 weeks ago - the swap went really smooth with Ross C's adapted stub axles.

My big problem was finding ZXT Axles in good condition. I bought 3 used sets (the sellers said they were "perfect" - Not! - then figured that I could have some rebuilt - Not!).- I could discover no source of replacement CV Joints and Nissan wants 150.00 wholesale for 1 Joint! Took 1 pair to the local NAPA who "rebuilt" them - came back nice looking with new boots but made big noise on the car. NAPA sells rebuilt CVs but their catalog shows both sides the same part, and I know that's wrong. Now I hear that it's really difficult to get quality rebuilt axles that will hold up to racing abuse.

Finally I have located 2 new nissan axles for 200.00 apiece (List is 822.00!). Only problem here is that the two new ones turn out to be both RH axles. This far into it, I bit the bullet and bought one CV with unique splined end to convert a RH shaft to LH. May have to use the shaft itself from the used LH axle in the buildup as Nissan's fiche shows that the shafts are different parts left to right. I'll measure to make sure, and will have this all done next week.

Like so many other things I've encountered in my Z (R&D?) project, I now know way more about CVs than I care to. Talk about getting the shaft!

But now I should have good strong axles when done next week.

I've been trying to get this thing to the track (Wed night or bust!) and big delays for simple problems are diving me cray-zee. bonk.gif

That tool have been invaluable and I highly recommend it. Auxilary and I have used it in the junkyard and at his place--it works flawlessly. 2thumbs.gif

If Zthang is still selling them, I encourage you to buy one because they are relatively cheap, save hours and hours of time, they really work, and you NEVER know when you or a friend may need one. I guarantee it.

Davy