HybridZ

Bicycles anyone?

Armand

Love the old school bikes.

Those white bikes are just screaming for one of these....unless you only race it and rules are against a two speed hub.

automatic-red-blue.jpg

I spent a decade racing all that tried to pass me on the bike trails on the virginia side of washington DC. riding an old Miele mountain bike with 2.0 size tires (cheater ridge in center) and then would bring out the skinny tire bike to track down whoever beat me more than once on the mountain bike.

The bike paths there are some of the best I have ever seen for summer, spring, and fall but the winter months were better spent mountain biking on the muddy trails of bull run.

I've been mountain biking for about 4 months now and recently have been consumed with downhill riding.

Only good things are happening (accept for injuries) since I've been riding.

Lost 20 LBS in the first month, drinking LOTS of water, better sleep, more energy, perspective on surrounding socal mountains, and most important I get to build/mod/tune my bike and enjoy rinding it. I really wish I had been introduced sooner.

Here's my ride. It's an 05 Haro X1. Mod list includes : Fox DHX rear shock, Marzocchi Jr.t forks, Magura brakes 8''front 7'' Rear, Sram x-9 deraileur, Maxxis Minion tires 2.7 front/2.5 rear. It's considered an "all mountain" bike which it truly is to me. I like to pedal up hills on weekdays, and do shuttle downhill runs on the weekends. Hopefully someday I'll be able to fork out 2-3 grand for a nice downhill spec bike. For now this will do, or until my riding buddies with DH bikes can pass me going down.

IMAGE_097.jpg

IMAGE_096.jpg

I'm really looking forward to riding mammoth lakes next month for some DH action.

Here's an awsome vid of one of the trails called velocity:

BTW if anyones interested in riding the LA area PM me.

I like to see what other people ride and there are some nice bikes, road, mountain, and hybrids. I have been riding road bikes and occasionaly a mountain for about 5 years. The mountain I bought new and is a Specialized Hardrock Comp with discs, a nice hardtail with good brakes. My roadie is an '88 Cannondale that is too big for me (a 61cm, need a 54, but hey, it was free) but it works. Two years ago I got my now 16 yr old son into riding and he has a new Trek 1000. Just 4 days ago I bought a '91 Trek 1000 for my 12 yr old daughter to ride. We ride around the country and get in 10-15 mile rides and do the local charity rides. I ride longer distances when I can and usually ride 40-50 miles for the charity rides. My son used to join me (and beat me) on the longer rides, but is now helping out his sister in getting the hang of things. I cant commute to work as the 35 miles through heavy city traffic does not work, but try to get out and ride as often as the North Texas heat will allow.

Guest Rolling Parts

How many miles do you ride a day? What do you ride? Anyone living car-free?

This year I did a 50mile, a 110mile and a 180mile sponsored weekend rides. I'll do the "Hotter N Hell 100" next month in Wichita Falls. Sponsored rides on country roads are a blast.

As far as "car free", I'll NEVER ride on the streets in town since all the roads in the past 10 years were constructed without shoulders. Basically that would put me in traffic just before it gets light in the morning. Way too dangerous for any "benefit". There is just no way to share a narrow road with a bunch of F350's pulling lawn care trailers!

Here's my ride. It's an 05 Haro X1. Mod list includes : Fox DHX rear shock, Marzocchi Jr.t forks, Magura brakes 8''front 7'' Rear, Sram x-9 deraileur, Maxxis Minion tires 2.7 front/2.5 rear. It's considered an "all mountain" bike which it truly is to me. I like to pedal up hills on weekdays, and do shuttle downhill runs on the weekends. Hopefully someday I'll be able to fork out 2-3 grand for a nice downhill spec bike. For now this will do, or until my riding buddies with DH bikes can pass me going down.

IMAGE_096.jpg

I'm really looking forward to riding mammoth lakes next month for some DH action.

Here's an awsome vid of one of the trails called velocity:

BTW if anyones interested in riding the LA area PM me.

If I'm ever up there, I may take you up on the offer. I'm in San Diego - we have some good trails down here. Not much in the way of downhill or freeride. The Ted Williams/Meadowbrook trails are some pretty fun downhill with something for everyone (google it).

If you really want to peg your stoke meter, out in Alpine, off of the I8, is the Anderson Truck Trail which includes the World Class trail - it's about 8 miles of singletrack downhill overlooking El Capitan resovoir. Pretty hot this time of year though - I was just out there on the WC trail about three weeks ago and it was about 105. Ended up taco-ing a rim coming off of a kicker.