HybridZ

Emissions/the legality of it all

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Do I have to buy a 25+ year old Z to be able to legally do a v8 conversion and be street legal? Anything else I have to watch out for to be street legal?

Depends on where you live and what the regs are in your state. I could have left my car with regular tags and state inspections and passed with little issue, but why bother going through the hoops and having to deal with the headaches and added expense... My one-time registration fee of $12 negates ever registering again, no property tax and no state inspections...

Mike

------------------

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

Guest Anonymous

Please read the following and tell me what you think it means...

The following is a quote from the regulations in Missouri:

It is a violation of both federal and state law to install an engine configuration into a vehicle chassis that is not certified by the EPA. Certified engine configurations must match either the same or newer model year as the vehicle chassis.

Are they saying the engine configuration itself has to be certified, or engine and exhaust? Also, I assume 'same or newer model year' does NOT mean it the new engine has to be for the same model of car.

Does anyone read this differently?

Guest Locutus

In some States such as Texas collectors plates get you nothing more than a fancy license plate. Antique tags are useless as the car can not be driven on any public roads. But as far as the law you stated goes I think it means you have to install an engine that is from the same year or newer and the emmisions equipment that came stock on that year engine.

Guest Anonymous

I also think that is what it means,They told me that what ever the car came with such as air pump or heat riser, had to be in place, but it is easy enough to remove after each inpection. mine is a 74 ,and that is my plan of action , but in texas over 24 years is exempt from sniffer test.

------------------

74 260, early 350,K.B.pistons,edelbrock manifold,carb,and cam,202 cast iron heads.Let the transformation begin.

Guest Locutus

After spending many hours talking to inspection places, it is my understanding in any county EXCEPT Harris, Tarrant, and Travis, only 1984 and newer cars are required to have any kind of emmisions equipment, the only thing required for a pre 1984 car is an exhaust with mufflers that exits outside the car somewhere that is safe to the driver. That is it. No emmissions inspections, not sniffer tests, just a basic safety inspection, which as long as you have seat belts, and all your lights signals and horn works you should have no problems passing.

Mikelly's right-it depends on your state and county laws. In Illinois they test in certain counties, of course, they run the OBDII. Tailpipe tests run from cars dated 1968 and up. Dynos from 84' and up. Antiques and show cars can be driven, but only to and from shows!(Officer, I know it's 4A.M., the show got out late!!??). A visual inspection of original emission parts is allowed, but I've not seen or heard of it practiced, even on failures. I'm doing a VR and the state told me that if I have ALL reciepts, including a numbered chassis from the Kit co., the engine year becomes the car year(64' 327). Or, I can keep it a 73' Z and pass emissions every two years(detune?), until they get realistic and go back only 25 years.

I have heard a rumor that many of the emmissions test are going away. My father

is in the automotive service eguipment business(he is a distributor of lifts,tire changers,wheel balancers,engine analizers,

sniffers,dynos,and he even owns some patents on some VERY high end alignment systems)and some of the talk he is hearing form his customers and vendors is that less than

18% of the vehicles on the road have potential to be an "environmental hazard"

and the cost to equip an inspection station

is way to high and not fair to the small business owner to force him to buy this

equipment just to do inspections..

He said that there is lots of politics

in this deal and dont be supprised if they start to fade away...

BTW he had a 84 nissan pickup with all the emmission removed it 300,000 miles on it and the carb needed to be rebuilt AND IT PASSED THE SNIFFER TEST

I've heard those rumors too. We also were told that when Texas went to the dyno testing there was such an uproar that it was suspended. Politics and business are the culprits here. Granted, the sales tecnique to the state leg was the blue smoking bombs running around Chicago, and that has worked well. You really don't see them anymore. But things always seem to over do it and then come back to center. I just don't wish to wait!

Bottom line is that they (EPA) have no interest in cleaning up the air. They are trying to regulate in the name of generating revenue for uncle sam. That is the exact reason I got antique tags and one reason I think Va. changes their ruling on the antique plate. I can drive my car any time, anywhere up to 250 miles from home.

Mike

------------------

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk