HybridZ

Can't get my RamJet 350 to Fire Up

I have finally finished wiring my RamJet 350 to my '76 280Z. However, I can't get it to fire up. It's turning over with plenty of spark but will not start. The pump is working fine, and has more than enough psi for the engine. The fuel is making it all the way to the fuel pressure regulator, but not into the fuel rail. ???? I got a new regulator just to be sure, and no change.

I bought a fuel pressure gauge, hooked it up to the valve on the fuel rail, and it does not register ANY pressure. I also had a code on the diagnostic tool which I went through the steps to clear, and no luck with starting.

We can't figure this problem out. Can anybody give me any ideas, please?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Zcarlover (Steve)

What is your configuration? Is this fuel injected? What order are the components configured? Tank, pump, injectors/carb, FPR, return line? Or Tank, pump, FPR, injectors/carb, return line? Or no return line? You say you are getting plenty of psi, is that Fuel pressure? If so where are you reading that? Electrical or manual fuel pump?

Hey 280zone & Deja,

Déjà, after going to the carcraft article you referred me to, I almost immediately closed it, once I realized it was an article I was very familiar with. I actually bookmarked this article 2 or 3 months ago after finding it in a google search & finding it very useful for multiple things.

However, I didn't close it & began reading the plumbing section once again. In the left margin there are photos from their project with captions below them. I happened to look at the photo of a fuel rail fitting which they had to customize to go below the distributor. They mention the inlet side....& it clicked, DUH!

I'm almost embarrassed to say that we had the lines on backwards. For some reason we were thinking fuel pressure regulator on inlet side. Wrong.

Anyway, my car is about 60 miles away in my buddy's garage. I called him & started to explain & he hung up & went out to the garage. He called me back about 10 minutes later & said it fired right up & purred like a loud open header kitten! Finally after 10 months of Saturday's.

Zcarlover

Cool. Ya know I was going to mention that but thought, there's no way he did that, LOL. As I remember someone else here did the exact same thing!!!

Hey 280zone & Deja,

Déjà, after going to the carcraft article you referred me to, I almost immediately closed it, once I realized it was an article I was very familiar with. I actually bookmarked this article 2 or 3 months ago after finding it in a google search & finding it very useful for multiple things.

However, I didn't close it & began reading the plumbing section once again. In the left margin there are photos from their project with captions below them. I happened to look at the photo of a fuel rail fitting which they had to customize to go below the distributor. They mention the inlet side....& it clicked, DUH!

I'm almost embarrassed to say that we had the lines on backwards. For some reason we were thinking fuel pressure regulator on inlet side. Wrong.

Anyway, my car is about 60 miles away in my buddy's garage. I called him & started to explain & he hung up & went out to the garage. He called me back about 10 minutes later & said it fired right up & purred like a loud open header kitten! Finally after 10 months of Saturday's.

Zcarlover

Thanks guys,

I just have a few more things to complete before the maiden voyage. Need to install clutch slave which came with the T5 out of 89 Z28, bleed the brakes (installed Silvermine stage 4 front brake kit), install exhaust, finish carpet kit from Motorsport, & install new used seats out of 95 Z28!

Hopefully I'll be driving it this Saturday!

Zcarlover