HybridZ

ka5 vs bw t-5

emeraldlion

Now before anybody gets on to me, I tried SEVERAL searches. It may be that I didn't type the right word combination but I didn't see anything that addressed one versus the other. Now the main benefit is that I already have the t-5, supposed to be good condition. My main question would be is there any large advantage to swapping in a ka 5 speed instead of the BW t-5? From reading it seems the bw would need less machining but seeing as this is a weekend thrasher that I want to last if the ka 5 is significantly better it might be worth the extra up front. Would prefer to do this once. Thanks for the help

Usually, the KA trans (FS5W71C) will hold approx. 350WHP, if what I can find on the SX forums is reliable. Note that this transmission, in various forms, is used in the Z31 non-turbo, the 200SX non turbo and turbo versions, anything with an RB20, and in some SR20 powered vehicles. I don't know anything about the T-5 transmission.

The T5 is rated for 265 lb-ft.

From what I've read, the stock Nissan shifter is a weak link and doesn't have stops to prevent over-shifting and damaging the forks. It should be upgraded.

You might want to look at the ratios to see how they compare. I've been looking at the T5 and 1st and 2nd seem a bit short relative to my existing NA 5 speed. I don't know how that compares to the KA.

My brother has a B&M shifter I could finagel to prevent the overshift issue. I suspected the t-5 may be stronger but this confirms It. IIRC, from what I've read the t-5 first gear is slightly shorter and 5th gear is taller allowing for better cruising if you so choose.