HybridZ

I want to go fast in a 200SX

Ok: I have had 3 Z cars so far, (dont own any now frown.gif sold them all) BUT: I now drive a Nissan 200SX. It has a 2.0l 4 banger that goes ok but it's lacking that... Kick in the pants. I want to drop in a 305 w/5 speed. The car is in exelent shape, (no frame rot) and I think it will hold up to the power...

I know I'll have to change the rear end and the suspension all around.( I'm going to lower the car anyway) And I know I'm going to have to fabricate something for the engine/trany mounts. Any I ideas or thoughts on this? I'm I crazy for thinking this will work? Oh well... any input would be apreciated! Email me or post something here ok? Thanks!

------------------

The crazy datsun guy

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

Did somebody change this site to "Hybridanything"??? Maybe you should find a 240SX forum for that question since we are all Z guys here.

SpencZ

Guest RON JONES

Spence,take it easy on Datsunlover.It sounds like a cool swap to me.This site started out as a chevy v-8 in a z-car site.Now we have ford power,v-6 power,turbo buick power,turbo datsun power....ect.I don,t think anyone would have a problem a 200sx with smallblock chevy power on this site.I don,t.This is a nice frendly site,lets keep it frendly.

Hey Datsunlover, let me give you an alternative. One of my buddies here in Orlando has a 85 RHD Silvia (Japanese 240SX) with the 1.8L turbo and it has gone 12.0 @ 119 spinning the street tires all the way past the 1-2 shift. It was a daily driver that dynoed at 400+hp.

The engine has been removed from the Silvia and is being upgraded for another 100hp and will be put in a 86 200SX. It will be strictly a drag racing car and we expect it to go 10.0 and be driven to/from any racetrack it competes on.

Scottie

Well.. let me just appoogise here... I live in Canada, and to find a good (no rust) Z car, I'm lookin at a LOT of money. My 200SX is in amazing shape and is, in some way shape or form, simmilar to the z cars of late. It is tough, has decent lines and handels like a dream. (well, it did till I killed the rear suspension!) So I figured that.. well, there are all these z cars with V8's, V6's and so on... how hard would it be to adapt something to my 200? It's front engine / rear drive and it HAS to have something in common with the 280zx.... It has 280 rims on it right now. (they're from my first 280zx.. all that's left of that car.. *snif snif* frown.gif )

Well.. anyway, if it's ok with you hard core "Z car only" people, I just want a little help with my idea. I figured what beter place to ask right? Sorry if I offended anyone ok? Thanks to people who think my idea will work. ANy help is apreciated!

------------------

The crazy datsun guy

Guest Locutus

I agree we are all here with one thing in common the Need for Speed. We talk about our other cars and projects that are not Z cars. I think we should welcome anyone that is taking on the challenge of creating a rare and unique vehicle even if it isn't a Z. The name of the forum only gives us a guideline to start from, our own imagination takes us from there. I also think it is flattering that his inspiration to even fanthom such a project came from reading about our own experiences creating our unique and one of a kind of ride. Datsunlover I am sure I am not alone in saying if we can be of help we will gladly do it. We all know that if not for the people here we would have all had to fight thru many of the same mistakes and problems that others have already beaten. Why reinvent the wheel? Stick around, read some old posts, and I hope you feel you can post here freely. BTW I would love to see pics when you get some.

Mike

Guest RON JONES

I don't see any reason for you to apologize Datsunlover.I would have to agree with Locutus about this site,I,m sure you will get any help you ask for.

Well, thanks for the support guys! I have never atemted a project like this.. so I have a lot of questions that may sound.. well, stupid. First off, I was on the JTR site, and they suggest using an atomatic trany, but I need my 5 speed. I can get a whole car (I think that's the best way) with a 350 and a 5 speed trany, for about $1000. The car (78 Firebird) is shot for the most part, but the mechanical's are good. Does anyone know if JTR's motor/trany mounts would work for my 200SX? Also, I think I'd have to raplace the stock rear end.. but does that mean I have to go to a solid rear axle? I like the indepentent suspension that is already there.. can it be used? As for suspension changes, I want to lower the car about 1 -1.5". But I don't know how heavy the front end is going to be with a V8... any thoughts people? I have many other questions, but I guess I'll let you guys digest these for now!! BTW: I have a pick of the car as it sits now (my 'artists rendition' of it ayway!) If anyone wants to see it, just e-mail me. Thanks for any help!

------------------

The crazy datsun guy

I think it's a cool idea. One of the guys at work actually asked me why the heck I'd put a V8 in an old Z when the newer 200240SXs were all over the place. Emissions man - and weight.

Anyway, I'm not sure about how to fit the engine in but I'd start by measuring the engine bay. If it's close to what the Z is you're going to be doing okay - if it's much smaller it could be difficult. Figure out if it will PHYSICALLY fit first. Then pay attention to where the steering crossmember is - it may get in the way too.

As for the rear - it was mentioned on zcar.com that one of the 200 series cars - maybe the 240SX? had an R180 rear I think - posi and a 4.10:1 ratio too. Find out what rear is in your car and how it mounts - you may be able to simply "upgrade" to an R200 Z rear and be done with it. Less cash if you can afford to do that anyway. Check out the later model 300ZX rears too - that would be a good swap too if the R200 won't mount. Subaru and Lexus also have independant rears...

Last but not least - you sure you can't find a nice 240 or 260 up there :-) You're going to be spending a bunch to invent a new wheel on this other car ya' know...

[This message has been edited by BLKMGK (edited July 10, 2000).]

Datsunlover, Yeah this site caters to Z fanatics, but there is a great amount of information here you can apply to your project. We're a pretty diverse group, but all have the common binding element of owning, or hoping to own a Z. I'd say your welcome to learn from our projects.

JS

[This message has been edited by John Scott (edited July 13, 2000).]

Guest Anonymous

Datsunlover,Welcome. I don't no if a V8 will fit. The engine compartment seems small. I do know that the early 200sx's used the same diffs as the first gen 300z's and earlier z's. The diff housings are the same. Most came with R180's but turbos & v6 powered ones had the R200 in them. You'll have to use the axles & possibly the stub axle flanges from a turbo or v6 powered car. Later 240sx's have the r200 but the housing is different and would require mods to make it work. Good luck on your project & keep us posted.

Glenn

By the way have you considered the Nissan 3 liter six as an engine. That conversion would be alot easier & cheaper. It should also fit right in. Just a thought.

Well, I was down and the Nissan dealership today (making a nuisance of myself! lol ) And the guy told me some of the 200sx's actualy came with the 300zx engine and drive train. I'm sure it would fit fine, but I want an insane power to weight ratio.. I'm thinking a 4.3 V6 if a 350 wont fit. I work at a wrecking yard, so getting a whole doner vehicle is no prob. I've also heard some bad things about the 300zx engines (high milage ones anyway: those are the ones in my price range) Also, my boss said he could build me a 4.3 with about 250-275HP... for under a grand... Well, I'll see what hapens. I'm planing on pulling out my 4 banger next weekend. I'll keep you all posted, and thanks for the support! smile.gif

Matt Gorissen

------------------

The crazy datsun guy

Whoa! You work at a wrecking yard buddy old pal? :-)

Should you happen to see an 1987.5-1989 300ZX TURBO come into the yard that's NOT painted all white would you do us th efavor of checking the rear diff in it? IF it's got a pretty aluminum finned cover and both wheels spin in the same direction when jacked off the ground you've found an elusive LSD!

I'm betting that there are several of us here, myself especially, who would be interested in paying a reasonable price for one of those in decent condition! They only made them standard equipment in that short time period and those of us with V8s will be needding them. The all white "special edition" or SE cars have an LSD also but swapping it in is difficult at best - it's a "viscous LSD" as opposed to the clutch type LSD.

Thanks! :-)

Well BLKMGK... I'm soooo sorry man... we crushed a 300zx today. A nice red one (with t-roofs and all!) it was an '88 too.. shite... I can check on monday.. but It's sort of.. under a buick now.. I'll ask my boss about it though, cause the diff may have survived the crusher. Also.. I do live in Canada.. so how would I get it to you? (assuming I find a diff before my boss/crusher does!) Sorry again man... I'll keep you informed though ok? oh yah.. anyone have any thought's on a 4.3 swap? I can get a whole s10 for about $200.. (god I love working in a wrecking yard!) ..because I think Glenn is right, and the engine bay is just too small. Thanks ppl!

------------------

The crazy datsun guy

datsulover, HELLO! As you sit there pondering what V-6 or V-8 to cram in that engine bay, you are totally overlooking the, as you put it, 4-banger. Psyence dropped you hint but it seemed to have gone right by you and everyone else. Properly set up, the little 4-banger will get you 350-400hp and granny can drive it to the market.

Why the obsession with cubic inches?

Scottie

Scottie's right - there might be something you can do with the 4cyl. Worth checkinginto at least.

As for the 300ZX - unless it was a turbo car it's not a big deal. Only the turbo cars of those years had the LSD. As for distance - hrm. As rare as the darned things are it would probably be worth shipping! Heh, find one first. Even if it's too much trouble to get it to me you can bet that someone closer will want it.

Matt, If you decide to go the 4.3 route, Let me know. There's lots of good HP there. Doesn't need to be supercharged to make 300+ hp.

Personally, I like to be a little unique with my 4.3. There's many small displacement engines that would be great in your project. Look at the 60 degree, too. The 4.3 is pretty wide (same as the smallblock V8).

JS