HybridZ

Ah yes...the age old turn signal problem

...we meet again.

Hi all,

I recently acquired my 1975 280Z from another member here on HybridZ about a week ago. The car's in great running shape ( other than then fuel pump I'm replacing this week ), but I can't live without turn signals.

I've searched and searched ( even through some old threads when I had the problem on my 76 ), but I can't find a good solution to this typical problem.

Symptoms ( or clues I guess ):

- All parking lights work, but when hazards engaged, front right does not blink ( ground? and if so, where would be the likely culprit? )

- No turn signals blink ever ( cleaned the switch, still nothing but I expected nothing :icon56: )

- Both headlights and hi beams work like champs.

Running on MSII and most of the wiring doesn't run through the fusebox, but should I check there?

Could the hazard switch be another culprit? Ignition switch?

Thanks in advance

• 3 months later...

I have the same problem and i hate electrical stuff. I have a 1975 280z and i modified the taillights with dual round trailer lights on each side (same look as a corvette). I wired then as per the directions and everything seemed to work then soon after my turn signals failed.

At the moment i have:

Hazards that work (only without headlights on), Headlights work but i have the turn signal dash lights staying on whenever the headlights are on. All lights work in this condition.

However i get no response anywhere when i try the turn signals, no flasher clicks no dash light, nothing.

I changed out flasher units, cleaned contacts and took it to a mechanic who decided after 3 hours that it was the hazard switch. I have power coming through the green wire and flowing to the hazards but no power will flow through the blinker wires out of the hazard switch.

I had the same problem, and tried everything to get my turn signals to work. Cleaning the hazard switch was all that it took for the signals to work again. Here is how I did it

Take out hazard switch from console.

Hazard-1.jpg

Then take out the four screws in the back

Hazard3.jpg

Then take out the little pivot piece

Hazard4.jpg

Then I just sanded down all four contact pads with 600 grit sandpaper, cleaned it then put it back in.

Hazard6.jpg

and now my turn signals work great

• 3 months later...
I had the same problem, and tried everything to get my turn signals to work. Cleaning the hazard switch was all that it took for the signals to work again. Here is how I did it

Take out hazard switch from console.

Hazard-1.jpg

Then take out the four screws in the back

Hazard3.jpg

Then take out the little pivot piece

Hazard4.jpg

Then I just sanded down all four contact pads with 600 grit sandpaper, cleaned it then put it back in.

Hazard6.jpg

and now my turn signals work great

i tried this and while i did learn a little(great advice) I still cant get my signals to work off of the tree.would it be possible to solder a toggle to left contacts for left signal and right contacts for right signal,and just operate them as i need them or flick them both for hazards?> Maybe put lighted toggles so i could have the visual assurance as well?

i tried this and while i did learn a little(great advice) I still cant get my signals to work off of the tree.would it be possible to solder a toggle to left contacts for left signal and right contacts for right signal,and just operate them as i need them or flick them both for hazards?> Maybe put lighted toggles so i could have the visual assurance as well?

or you could fix it right.....

• 1 month later...