HybridZ

ring gap on l6 turbo

philipl

Ive got a question for anyone thats been here before .Here is what i have TURBO L6 im replacing rings ,bearings ,gaskets.My cylinder walls all mic evenly between each other and still retain factory crosshatching i went ahead and honed the cylinders properly to deglaze them.i ordered standard rings for an turbo L motor my new rings ring gap on top ring three inches down in cylinder is .018 give or take a half a thousands this is outside of the ring manufactures specs of .004 per 1 inch of diameter and also outside of the how to rebuild your nissan L series specs of .012 to .017. My old factory chrome plated top ring in its designated cylinder "3 down measures .013.I have seen on another post two different people getting the .018 thousands ring gap with new rings .my rings are imc.One thing i noticed the part number for aftermarket rings is the same whether or not it is turbo or non turbo.Im thinking the larger ring gap maybe is ok due to higher temps being turbo.If you have been here before PLEASE GIVE ME YOUR THOUGHTS thanks phil........:burnout::burnout::burnout:

I run 20-25 thou on a top ring of a High HP l series. You always want extra clearence on a turbo motor that will see ALOT higher BTU's than most motors. Test have shown that you will see no difference in HP between 35 thou and ten thou of ring gap. Set your second ring at about .012"-.015".

thanks for the info guys 1 fast z looks like you deal with these motors on a daily basis i really enjoy gettin the gospel from people who have tried and tested thanks again !!!!!!!:icon14::icon14::burnout:

Please take this with the right attitude; You would be more likely to hear the gospel from those who know it best if you space out your thoughts a bit more than you had in your original post. I was just browsing and just now read the entire thread, and your original post would have been greatly improved simply by hitting the enter key in a few spots to give your thoughts a break. (More effort can CERTAINLY be taken to put a little more "voice" into your statements, but simply knocking that enter key a few times between sentences is enough :) )

Ive got a question for anyone thats been here before .Here is what i have TURBO L6 im replacing rings ,bearings ,gaskets.

My cylinder walls all mic evenly between each other and still retain factory crosshatching i went ahead and honed the cylinders properly to deglaze them.i ordered standard rings for an turbo L motor

my new rings ring gap on top ring three inches down in cylinder is .018 give or take a half a thousands this is outside of the ring manufactures specs of .004 per 1 inch of diameter and also outside of the how to rebuild your nissan L series specs of .012 to .017. My old factory chrome plated top ring in its designated cylinder "3 down measures .013.I have seen on another post two different people getting the .018 thousands ring gap with new rings .my rings are imc.

One thing i noticed the part number for aftermarket rings is the same whether or not it is turbo or non turbo.Im thinking the larger ring gap maybe is ok due to higher temps being turbo.

If you have been here before PLEASE GIVE ME YOUR THOUGHTS thanks phil.......

Hope this helps; You CERTAINLY aren't the first person to get this kind of tip