HybridZ

question for those with mikuni's (linkage question)

FJ 280z

im converting my l28e to sidedrafts, i've read what some of the people done for the throttle linkage has been to use junkyard throttle cables or the lokar universal throttle cable kit. i feel like im gonna go the lokar route, however, my question is, what length of cable, for those who have gone this route, should i use? do i get the 24" or is that too short? would the 36" be better? i know how i want to mount the cable, i just need to know the length so i can order it tonight and hopefully be on the road by this weekend! thanks

Do your carbs have the "bar" style triple linkage that hooks to the factory arm? I'm guessing not since you want to go the cable route. I ordered the bar linkage setup from Wolf Creek and scavenged parts off 240's and 280's (firewall brackets) and fabbed up an arm for my 240. Works like a champ.

We're doing my buddy's 510 right now with the pull style cable linkage. He ordered a 24", but it just looks a little too short. Depends on where you intend to attach the cable. (directly to the pedal etc.) If you run off the linkage outside the firewall, a 2 footer should be sufficient. You might be good to get a piece of string and route what you "think" will be your cable path. Then just measure how much string you ate up, and that should give you your answer.

I ran a mid 80's Nissan truck cable. It even had a nice bushing thing at the end. It was pretty easy to mod the stock pedal to work with the bushing. Ran me about $10 from a JY, and I just had to make a bracket that bolted to the top of the center carb to hold the cable and then I bought a Mikuni cable end to hook it all up.

Certain nissan throttle cams (actually cruise control cams) slide right over the stock bar linkage.

Then it's just finding a place to mount the cable sheath end.

thats a great idea, i got a couple spare throttlebodies laying around i can dissect, i was almost gonna order an arm through weber mfg, but that sounds like a more logical, hybridz solution. thanks everyone for your input...

I did this on a car with a cable when fitting the L28.

This is the second throttle cam (cruise control) off of a 1992 stanza but it looks very similar to the Z31 cam.

I used the cam and the plasitc bushing that it rides on but cut away much of it because of the limited room but left enough to keep the throttle action as linear as possible........probably could have left more but it's fine.

I butchered up the cable end mount from a Z31 to mount it to the rail but I will probably fix the look later on.

Then I got it the proper adjustment and drilled a hole straight through everything and bolted lightly.

I put it there after tons of time spend trying to figure out the best way to use a cable designed for a Z31 and ended up with the cable being a "S" shape but the stock implementation is almost a circle.

Definately look at other setups for the best solution but this one does work.

throttle.jpg