HybridZ

looking for help with a very budget build drag 240z

im trying to put together a very budget build drag car 240z for the drags down here in tn...and i thought id ask everyone here for help...im looking for a good bit of parts at either very cheap or donated....any and all help is very apreciated and would help a ton...im trying to build a 240z with either a l24 or l28 with roundtop su's (thought about boring them out to 50mm but dont know where to find butterflys and shafts from the jag. su;s) (havent decided between a 4 speed or auto tranny)...

now i already have the car...i have 2 l24's both need rebuilds(one has a e88 head and the other has a e31 head) i have an auto tranny and 4 speed tranny(series one 4 speed)...my plan was to use one of the straight 6 engines and get about 14:1 compression with a good cam(of coarse running race fuel)

ive got a wish list if anyone could help let me know:

a decent cam (with supporting valvetrain if ratical cam)

very very low gear'd diff 4.38 or lower if possible

bucket seat

small steering wheel

any aftermarket gauges

any race orintated parts

any suspension better than stock

any race prep and drag experience tips

any cheap machining work

any cheap labor

any cheap power coating and painting

decent clutch and flywheel

like i said its gonna be very budget build thats why im asking for anyone and everyones help...im not gonna be picky at all so if parts are usable but need some work that fine with me...and if there are any tips, advice, or help that anyone offers i will take it gladly... oh and i will be posting many many pictures of the build and video's if and when it hits the track...and anyone who helps me out would be more than welcome to come to tn and drive it down the strip....thank you all..

I think he has several options, I'm not sure what exactly his level of expertise is, level of confidence is or what his goals are. Perhaps he can share and get better advice.

13's is fast no doubt for a street car, but not so much for a dedicated drag car. I raced evildky at sez 6. I briefly remember him being at the starting line and then he disappeared somewhere. :lmao:

well thank you for your ideas...but i forgot to mention what im wanting to race in..i would be in the stock modified import class...if i was to put a turbo motor in the car or a 350 that would bump me up to either the sportsman class or the modified unlimited....which a 350 could not keep up with just about anything in those classes(twin turbo'd corvettes)...thats why i want to run in stock modified import...the rules are no body modifications, no suspension modifications, and no power adders to the motor such as turbo or supercharger....im wanting to build a l24 or l28 the looks very stock and dominates the class...

13's is fast no doubt for a street car, but not so much for a dedicated drag car. I raced evildky at sez 6. I briefly remember him being at the starting line and then he disappeared somewhere. :lmao:

lol, I don't remember who all I happen to line up with but there are always some very fast Z cars at SEZ or DNI now I guess. I think that was when I ran the 12.6 with the slipping clutch after adding an intercooler and upping the boost, it's had a few mods since ;). My point was on a budget of almost nothing 12's are wthin reach with only a $3-500 turbo donor and a ceap intercooler. I don't see an n/a running as fast for a similar budget, and I don't see a V8 going much faster for the same budget.

Granted Andy Nelson has built a V8 Z and few other cars that run mid 10's for $2000. He also just set a couple of land speed records at Maxton (not a $2000 car), and wait till you see what he's building for next years GRM challange. But Andy shops swap meets, he's an engineer and gets the results he gets by building for a specific goal.

well thank you for your ideas...but i forgot to mention what im wanting to race in..i would be in the stock modified import class...if i was to put a turbo motor in the car or a 350 that would bump me up to either the sportsman class or the modified unlimited....which a 350 could not keep up with just about anything in those classes(twin turbo'd corvettes)...thats why i want to run in stock modified import...the rules are no body modifications, no suspension modifications, and no power adders to the motor such as turbo or supercharger....im wanting to build a l24 or l28 the looks very stock and dominates the class...

open your wallet, an L31 stroker will ve the most potential to make power, but if you bargain shop you might be able to put together an engine for around $2000, then another $600-800 for tripple webbers

this is a very very budget build...probably like a $2000 dollar max....so the l31 is a little out of the league...whats wrong with a 14:1 compression l28 with a radical cam? this build will be about what i can make with what ive got... and i wouldnt like to build a l31 cheaply because ive known a couple ppl to built it with a budget and have a very under powered l31 or have a big $2000 dollar disaster....dont get me wrong there have been a couple of ppl who have built the l31 and got away with a good reliable motor but i dont want to take my chances(plus if i build a l31 it would probably go into my personal 72)

but it has been proven time and time again the l28 race prep'd with very high compression and a radical cam can do very very well...which im gonna do most of everything to save on costs so maybe by the time i get the body done i may change my mind...but for now im leaning toward a nicely prep'd l28 with flattop pistons, radical cam, and possibly tripples...but i honestly do appreciate everyone's feedback...keep it coming

the FP autocross cars run stupid high compression ratios and are getting 250 ish whp on race fuel, not sure if they are getting all the gain from head shaving or block decking or both, tom holt is one of the FP guys and hybrid z member

Put it like this, your intended budget, limitations, and goals don't really line up.

You can use an s30 for a budget build that is limited by rules, but realistically you won't be in a position to dominate the class.

Maybe an old VW would be more appropriate.

However, I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun in the process and learn quite a bit about the s30. Just don't expect to win.

Remember, european exotics are also imports. :)