HybridZ

How do you title a Fairlady in the States?

misterZ

I'm leaving in the morning to pick up a 78 FairladyZ imported to the US (years ago); upon closer look of the ad, it only says the title is from `91 and says 70K miles on it--no mention if it ever was titled in the US.

How hard/much is it to title a JDM car? I just thought of this as a friend at work today said it was very expensive if it's never been titled in the US(?).

Thanks,

Call the Florida DMV office close to you - but you better have more infomation to start with. Does the car come with the proper "Import" paperwork? Has a local DMV Official inspected the car and approved it for a Florida Title?

Find all this out - before you put any money at risk. Money is at risk whenever it is not in your bank account.

good luck,

Carl

Clearwater, FL

Call the Florida DMV office close to you - but you better have more infomation to start with. Does the car come with the proper "Import" paperwork? Has a local DMV Official inspected the car and approved it for a Florida Title?

Find all this out - before you put any money at risk. Money is at risk whenever it is not in your bank account.

good luck,

Carl

Clearwater, FL

Snap, trailer hooked up and was headed out @ 6a; I think I'll make the call first.

Thanks

On the other hand - if it already has a title, but from some other State - it's no problem getting a Florida Title issued. In that case all you need is the signed title from any State, an inspection form filled out to verify the VIN. That signed title has to show you as the Buyer... as well as being signed by the seller. If there is no place on the title to record the Buyer Name - then you will need a signed "Bill Of Sale" that shows ownership passing to you.

It was most likely brough into the US by some military personel. Back in the 60's and 70's one just took the title, bill of sale to the DMV - and they would issue a title.

FWIW,

Carl B.

It was most likely brough into the US by some military personel. Back in the 60's and 70's one just took the title, bill of sale to the DMV - and they would issue a title.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Yeah, that's what he said but it's got a Euro plate on it. I had a `76 280Z Fairlady 2+2 while station in Fussa, JP (Yokota AB) `87-88 but came home on emergency leave and didn't get a chance to ship it; hence, my `77 coupe (because I prefer the coupe body style :)) same color and interior but the wheel is on the wrong side. :icon44:

I'm going to take that chance and head up the road and make the call(s) after sun up (first being to the seller); I'm on a time schedule but can always turn around if the deal goes sour.

Cross your fingers, my son is really counting on this car and I'd hate to disappoint him as a result of a simple oversight. :bonk:

Cross your fingers, my son is really counting on this car and I'd hate to disappoint him as a result of a simple oversight. :bonk:

The gamble paid off, never called as I was picking it up regardless. Turns out it has an NC title already!

You're fortunate that it's a 2+2, and not an early coupe like mine. The early (mine was produced 7/78) JDM 280Z(X)'s had a different configuration of rear deck and full size spare than US models. The 2+2's are very similar, though, save for the color combinations available. Looks like yours is standard tan, though, so that should not prove to be so bad.

All engine stuff is readily available. But if yours is like mine (and I bet it is) you have a VERY different ECU, with stepper motor idle air bypass control, as well as an O2 sensor and dual-plate progressive throttle body.

If you decide to get rid of that stuff, and go "US Domestic" help a brother out and send me a shout on what you are removing. I don't have any spare ECU or harness...and that dual-bore throttle body could come in handy for the future!

BTW, you have a "Fairlady 280Z 2/2", from the looks of it, the GL model...

Have fun, mine was stored 14 years, and needed a new fuel pickup, and fuel pump to get running. If it runs with starting fluid, you're on the downhill slide to taking it around the block...you know it got spark, you just need fuel! Clean your connections very well, and coat them with dielectric to prevent any further oxidation.

Again, good luck!

If you decide to get rid of that stuff, and go "US Domestic" help a brother out and send me a shout on what you are removing. I don't have any spare ECU or harness...and that dual-bore throttle body could come in handy for the future!

You may be in luck Tony as my son wants to drop a 1JZ in it; `course we may be old and gray by then, wait, I'm already there... ha. Maybe in a couple years but we'll keep you in mind. :)

Thanks for the info!