HybridZ

RB26DETT swap budget

MazterDizazter

Hey all,

I'm in the middle of trying to swap an L28ET in my 240Z. I've gotten way too deep and spent way too much money on this dinosaur motor and I'm considering just getting an RB26DETT and selling my L-series parts. I need to know what added expenses come with the swap. So let's start with the engine: $3500 shipped for R32 RB26 from J-Hot Imports in NJ.

I already have an AZC aluminum radiator and Treadstone FMIC, and a Z32 transmission, custom driveshaft, and shifter. I have an aeromotive FPR and I plan on buying a fuel cell and aeromotive fuel pump and filter with -10 braided hoses with A/N fittings. That leaves, by my calculations, the wiring, custom mounting solution, clutch, and bellhousing adapter (do I need a different oil pan?). I'd probably also want to replace the HG and head studs. Anyhow, waiting for people who have done the swap to chime in. Thanks guys!

first thing i would do with an import RB26 would be to strip it down and check the internals,if alls good give it a hone,linish the crank,new set of rings and bearings,new oil pump,pressure test the head,check valve seats,throw in a set of valve stem seals,check the valve springs carefully for tension,install a new set of retainers,new set of gaskets and you are good to go

the rb26 is a very expensive handgrenade and i have lost count of import ones that have met with premature demise after just being installed as is

....particularly spun bearings or dropped valves

i'd budget on a minimum of $10,000 ,including ECU & tune,loom,fuel system,wastegate,600hp turbo/s,pipework,exaust,engine freshen up,clutch,tailshaft,injectors,custom sump/pickup

however the above may not guarantee a reliable 600hp,for this you may need forged pistons and rods,large snout crank/mod,N1 oil pump,HD valve springs,aftermarket cams

hope you've got deep pockets

• 2 weeks later...

I'll have to check my numbers but it doesn't sound like more than twice what I'll have to spend to get the L28ET rebuilt and tuned to ~300whp. Plus I can sell the block, AZC oil pan, Pallnet fuel rail, non-egr intake manifold, 240SX TB/adapter, and any other bits I have to make up the cost. I'll repost again with more solid numbers.

Here are my expenses so far:

Engine: $2000

RB26 tranny: $300

300zx tranny: $300

Custom oilpan: $750

Fuel cell, inline pump, braided fuel lines and fittings: $1200

Intercooler: $100

W/P, Clutch slave, misc junk: $300

So far $4950, and maybe another $1000 or so to go.

I was considering a l28et before this, but I could easily rack up the same amount into a l28et

The rb26 will do 350hp out of the box

Don't forget recirculating BOV's if you are going with factory ECU.

I just recently put my car into a swap shop and they are doing all the things I don't have time or the skills to do. Here is a rough outline.

AEM Standalone, Wideband, Boost controller, Sensors, and AEM Gauge - I think about $1,800 parts

Gauges - $800

Fuel Lines Filter, Regulator and After Market Fuel Rail

Rewiring

I/C Piping

Intake Piping

Downpipe Fabrication

Oil pan and pickup modification

Replaced oil pump water pump and timing belt With N1s

Now mind you I drove the car into them with the RB26 mounted and running. Before I took it to them I had done my own half assed version of I/C and Intake piping and halfway patched the exhust and the car was running. I remembered thinking at the time that the guys in hybridz were wrong and that this is a cheap swap. Oh boy was I wrong. All together the stuff I listed above is costing me over $11k. I know that sounds like a lot but I have been monitoring their progress closely and at their shop rate of $75/hr I know this is a more than fair price. The stuff I listed is a monumental amount of work and in my opinion if you are not a good fabricator and a good at general mechanical and electrical do not attempt this swap on your own. If you have the money or the skills (and free time) then go for it. Here is a link to the shop's page on my swap. http://www.toyspeedracing.com/id178.html BTW if anyone on this board mentions any of this to my wife I will stab you in the heart with an ice pick.

I spent close to $10K on mine and that was with me doing everything. I did the wiring, made a complete exhaust, made an intercooler and charge pipes, and made the transmission mount. That also included the cost of having the crank collar fixed (R32 engine) and the Power FC that I bought.

Brandon

Well if your gonna go the ol' trusted Mckinney route:

Mount kit: $525

Downpipe: $500

Exhaust piping & muffler: $550

Wiring Harness: $400 provided the importer didn't hack it up

Dont forget shipping on everything including the RB, it can get up there. You will run into a lot of little stuff that will nickle and dime ya. It is most likely gonna surpass your six grand prediction, even if everything goes perfectly.

• 5 months later...

$400 is the going rate for Toyota wiring harness conversions, too. I chose not to pay it and had an "experienced friend" do it for me; turned out looking like a rat's nest and half my warning lights were on for no apparent reason. Some things are just worth the cost.

Yeah, $10-11k sounds about right, and very much worth it considering the power and speed you get from that RB. I think I'm going to put this idea on the backburner for a while as I just found out that 3SGTE swaps for my MR2 have become much more affordable recently; it used to be $10k for a gen2 swap (200hp/200lb/ft), now it's around 6-7k for a gen3 swap (241hp/224lb/ft), and that includes the modifications to bring it to around 300whp. Considering my MR2 needs an engine and my Z doesn't necessarily need one right now (just refreshed the ol' L26 and rebuilt the Webers), I think I'll wait a while, sell off the L28ET stuff, and put it in the piggy bank for later, when hopefully, hopefully RB swaps will become more affordable.