HybridZ

Drive shaft Fell out... Damaged??

at-jefft

Hello,

I am in the middle of a complete suspension rebuild(sandblast, paint, new strut/spring). I was pulling the differential support(mustache bar, etc) today and the jack slipped causing the diff to fall a few inches; After getting it supported again, I saw the driveshaft had fallen out of the talishaft on to the cement.

How should I check for damage to the driveshaft, u-joint,... etc? Is there a good chance it is ok?

P.S. can I look for something on the diff that will tell me the gearing? ya know "while I'm at it."

Just look for any visible signs of damage, cracks/bends. Move the joint around and listen/feel for any abnormalities...

For the diff gearing, pull the cover and look at the stamp on the gear itself. If you can't find/see the stamp, just count the teeth, lol.

Ahhmmm. Pull the diff cover and look for a number? If your serious, and want to replace fluids, take stuff apart unnessesarily, then go for it. IF you are just curious, you can put a mark on the input shaft and case, and simply turn a wheel (car on stands) and count how many times it turns. You should be able to tell if it turns 3.54 times and 3.7 or 3.9 or 4.11 times etc.

Simple, clean, fast.

It fell a few inches? They can take a much more serious beating than that. Like they said, inspect for a borked surface on the driveshaft.

To clarify a it fell probably about a foot or so. but definatly not more than 2 feet. It may or may not have been slowed down by hitting the exhaust too.

But ya, everything looks alright. I'll reassemble things and run it and hope for no problems.

When I removed my U-joints from my half shafts, quite the stroy.

Lets just say it might have been like dropping them from a very tall building;)

The second one I had a shop that works on semi's do it, cost about $15, was glad to pay it.

I definity say no worries.